Increasing RAM in iMac 3.06, please help

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by zerobaj, Sep 12, 2008.

1. zerobaj macrumors newbie

New to the forums, and I have a few questions, that I'd appreciate some help with. I apologize in advance if this has been addressed, but I failed to find an answer in the search option.

I have newer generation iMac 3.06 24", with 2GB of RAM. I'm a heavy gamer, both on OSX and Windows, and also do a lot of work in GarageBand and other multimedia programs. I'm mostly concerned about my gaming performance (not that I'm overall upset with it, just want the most out of my machine).

I was curious whether or not it would be practical to switch from 2GB -> 4GB and actually see a performance boost. Would games show a better FPS, etc..?

Also, are there any guides to which RAM to choose for this specific system, how to install, etc?

Any help, experience, knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

2. dengar169 macrumors member

I would say your GPU and CPU makes a bigger difference on FPS. I'm not as heavy a game as you claim to be, so technically you should know more than I do.

Most people like Crucial, OWC and Newegg when looking for more memory. If you're not into purchasing online, I would go to Fry's Electronics. I personally went with Crucial. They even threw in a free 1gb flash drive when I ordered.

Help for installing new ram is in your mac instruction manual, read it. If not, I'm sure you can google for pictures and I'm sure you can find a video on YouTube. Best of luck to you

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

2 GB is fine for gaming under XP. In Vista I've had it work flawlessly except with Company of Heroes. That appears to be more an issue with the specific game though.

I like having 4 GB just to avoid paging to hard disk. It's more about the GPU and CPU for games.