Increasing RAM on a PowerPC G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jofima, Dec 26, 2008.

1. jofima macrumors member

I have a PowerPC G4 466 Mhz which has three "PC133" thingies in it, one 128 MB and two 256 MB, totalling 640 MB.

I want to change those to one, two or three 512 MB cards instead, but the manual says something about there being certain restrictions for 512 cards. Translated from Swedish:"If you install DIMM-modules of 512 MB they must have 256 Mb-units". What does that mean exactly and how do I check that they in fact have "256 Mb-units"?

EDIT: Sorry, I just realised that perhaps this should have gone into the "Mac Basics and Help" forum instead.

2. Cosmoza macrumors member

Cosmoza

Good site

You need to look for "low-density" memory modules. Buying them from eBay or such, check they mention "low-density" or it's not gonna work. One way is to buy them from Kingston or Crucial, but they... are expensive. SDRAM PC100/133 low-density modules are expensive usually.

3. jofima thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

I read the page you linked to, and it certainly answered several questions, many which I hadn't even thought about. I'm still confused about the required "256-units" mentioned in the manual, though.

Btw, by "low density", I assume, you mean "low profile"?

(And yes, I've noticed they are expensive, which is why I want to make sure I get something that is compatible.)

4. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

No, low density means that the sticks have chips on both sides of the circuit boards, as opposed to high density ones, that have chips only on 1 side. The memory controller in those G4's can NOT read high density ram......

ps: you can get 512's for $30.75 lookie here:

http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_XLR8YourMac.cfm?ID=3321&Item=OWC133SD512328

guaranteed compatible, great service, fast shipping, no hassle returns........

5. jofima thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks!

I just ordered two 512 sticks (Kingston ones with chips on two sides!) from Swedish eBay, roughly USD 19 a piece. They are supposed to be brand new and come in sealed bags. It looked too good to miss.