Increasing RAM - will I see a difference

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lalanda, Mar 5, 2011.

1. lalanda macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have a 17" 2010 MBP with the standard 4 GBs of RAM.

I'm interested in upgrading the RAM to 8GBs because I'd like the computer to be at its optimum and I'm jealous of the 2011 MBPs.

However, will I actually notice the difference? I don't do anything graphics intense (photoshop, video editing, etc.) but I do have many programs open at once and switch between them.

Activity monitor tells me this during average use:

Free: 83MB
    Wired: 779MB
    Active: 2.19 GB
    Inactive 864MB

Used 3.79 of 3.88

I see I have some free RAM there, so would the computer even get to using the extra 4GB?

If I did see a difference, where would I see it? Application launching? Web page loading? Etc.

Thanks.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Most likely no. If you were encoding video, on the webcam, safari, and streaming something else at the same time then I would suggest it, but its not going to make safari loading or application launching any faster. Application launching speed has more to do with the HDD than anything.

3. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

I think you would, i am in the same boat i get down to 10-40 MB of my 4 GB and things start to get choppy! its not going to load things faster things will just run smoother when you have all of them open.

4. v66jack macrumors 6502a

v66jack

For what you do with the computer I doubt there would be much difference at all.

5. Miss Terri macrumors 6502

Would that change if a person had the habit of keeping, say, 75 tabs open in Firefox? Not saying I *know* this person, mind you ;)

6. man02195 macrumors regular

If you're running multiple apps, extra memory can help.

What are your page ins & page outs?
    If the page outs are a very large number, or even close to the page ins, extra memory could help.

7. lalanda thread starter macrumors newbie