Increasing RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zacl87, Feb 15, 2010.

1. zacl87 macrumors member

This probably seem like a pretty n00bish question but I'm considering getting some SD ram for my macbook and I'm wondering if it makes a difference what kind you get?

I've had a look around and i'm unsure if it matters what format your computer is? As in can I take a ram chip from a pc and put it in my macbook?

Thanks

2. JediMeister macrumors 68040

It most definitely matters what kind you get. Factors to consider: 1) you're wasting money if you buy RAM which is faster than what's supported on your computer. 2) if you buy the wrong RAM, and your computer fails POST (beeps on startup), then you have to return it and wait for the right type to come in; in the meantime you'll be stuck with the original modules.

The format of the computer does not matter, only the speed and size do. I suggest you visit http://www.crucial.com/mac/index.aspx and use their tool to search for the correct RAM for your system.

3. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

RAM is RAM. You just need to get the correct type and speed for your MacBook. Look your Mac up on crucial.com to get the specs for your model's memory and buy whatever brand suits you.

4. zacl87 thread starter macrumors member