"Increasing" resolution

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Yumunum, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

I'm on a small budget and I want to buy an HDTV to use as an external monitor for the MacBook Air I'm buying this summer.

I need something with a high resolution so i can see more content, which made me think my only choice was a 1080p TV. I see a lot of well-priced TVs that are 720p though, and I'd go that route if I could. So my question is, is there a way to make the outputed resolution higher than 720p? Like, the computer's image would be higher than 720p so things wouldn't technically be as CLEAR on the 720p screen, but I'd still be seeing more content.

For example, on my iPad when I use Splashtop to view/control my iMac, I have the choice to view everything in the iMac's native resolution. Obviously the iPad doesn't have enough pixels to actually view it natively, so it shows me the image, just not as clear as it would be if it actually had enough pixels. Does that make sense?

Also, if I did this with a TV, would there be a way to make it so (by default) it chooses the higher resolution, instead of defaulting to 720p each time I plug the computer into the TV? I'd want it to be a really quick transition everytime I plugged in my computer. I wouldn't want to toggle resolution settings each time.

I hope my questions made sense.

Thanks!

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

To my knowledge, no. Honestly, even if there was I'd recommend you save a few more pennies and get the higher resolution. Most people keep displays and tv's for years. Getting the right one now will pay off for a long time to come.