Increasing size of bootcamp partition?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Schraiber, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Schraiber macrumors member

I need to have a bit more on my bootcamp partition, because I initially only made it 10 gb for XP, but I find myself needing to install matlab (OS X version is notoriously crap), so I need some more space.

If I resize with the disk utility, will I screw anything up? I have a bunch of stuff installed that I don't want to deal with reinstalling if I don't have to!

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I believe that some have used a 3rd party utility with some success, however, the standard recommended way is to use WinClone (free) to clone your Windows partition, then use Boot Camp Assistant to delete the partition and then run BC Assistant again to create a larger partition and restore your clone to it.

Recap:

1. Clone your existing partition using WinClone
    2. Delete your existing partition with BC Assistant
    3. Create a larger partition with BC Assistant
    4. Restore your clone

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. aleczorich macrumors newbie

That seems like the best way but you could also back it up onto a disk then copy steps 2-4 and on 4 restore your backup back onto your partition.

4. Schraiber thread starter macrumors member

Thanks a bunch! This will hopefully make my life easier :)

5. agvsta macrumors newbie

Does it works the same way?

Does it works the same way to make the Boot Camp partition smaller?
    I have 160GB, 40GB is for Boot Camp.
    I don't have much to do there, except for AutoCAD and Microstation.

Thanks before

6. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Great tip! Thanks Dawg :)

7. agvsta macrumors newbie

Sorry, just checked the WinClone website.
    It's clear enough for me, there's a screen shot showing option to shrink the Boot Camp partition.

Thanks again.

8. hakr macrumors regular

WinClone doesn't seem to be downloadable anywhere. The WinClone site is still up, but the download function isn't working.

Also, has anyone tried WinClone with Windows 7?

Any alternatives to resizing the BootCamp partition besides starting over?

Thanks!

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Downloadable here: http://mac.softpedia.com/progDownload/Winclone-Download-27227.html found via "winclone download" and your favourite www search engine.

I don't know about your questions though.

10. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

I just recently used Winclone last night to because I was running real low (9GB left) on my Windows 7 partition, and let me share my experience..

I Wincloned it, removed the Windows partition with BootCamp Assistant, then tried to create a larger partition but of course it would not let me because of the drive being pretty fragmented I would assume.

So I backed up my Snow Leo partition including the Winclone image file with Time Machine (external hard drive). Erased hard drive and installed OS X. Then migrated my data back using Time Machine. Used BootCamp Assistant to divide my drive.

Launched Winclone and restored. Booted up on Windows 7 and everything was the same.

I was a bit worried since I didn't know you had to uncheck compression under preferences. Created the image with the default settings Winclone installs with.

12. gloryunited macrumors 6502

This WinClone method seems to imply we may "install" Windows on Mac without the optical drive if we created a backup image. (still need to install it the hard way the first time though)

Did I misunderstand anything? I don't even have experience with Ghost with Windows...:eek:

13. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I'm getting the impression that one of the point releases for 10.6 may have finally fixed this issue and it works with compression on now.

B

14. zoomy942 macrumors newbie

Hi there. I resized mine today using Camptune.

I have looked all over the web and just want to hear from someone...

does resizing it hurt performance? I don't think it will because it's just moving the partition... but someone reassure me please.

15. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It should not be any different than starting off with the larger Boot Camp partition.

There might be some very slight effects due to alignment of the partitions, but I doubt they would be perceptible.

B