Increasing sound output.

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by atticboy212, Jan 31, 2008.

1. atticboy212 macrumors newbie

Is there a way to increase the sound output through my headphones. I'm sure I could buy some kind of amplifier or whatever, I'm just wondering if there's some kind of app I could download to make my output louder.

2. mediaguru macrumors regular

You probably would not want to increase the audio levels beyond their intended limits by simply making the audio output "louder." The on-board amplifier circuits, particularly in laptop/mobile computers, are very easy to over-drive which results in really nasty distortion.

If you have headphones that are capable of reproducing audio that's louder than your computer's maximum output, you might want to check into getting a headphone amp. This example is by no means "the best" headphone amp out there, but it is cheap, accepts (out of the box) the kind of audio connections you would likely need, and is easy to use.

3. atticboy212 thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I know what your saying. I just found a solution for now. Kind of strange one but whatever works. I'm routing the sound through an old 4 track recorder i have. It amplifies the sound quite a lot and sounds pretty decent. So I'll use it for now. Puts the old 4 track to use anyway. Thanks for the reply.