Increasing Windows Partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Phlebas8717, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Phlebas8717 macrumors newbie

Phlebas8717

I installed Windows 7 on a 30gb partition and I quickly realized that that wasn't near enough space due to the monsterous footprint of Windows 7. So, I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a disc image of the windows partition and I deleted the partition. I then used Bootcamp to create a new parition (I didn't use Disk Utility because I thought maybe Bootcamp was needed to ensure that the partition was bootable). Now, when I open up Disk Utility to copy my Windows disk image to the partition, it says that that the windows partition cannot be scanned because "resource is busy."

Is there any way around this? Should I create the partition through Disk Utility and not Bootcamp? Do I have to boot up Lion through my install thumb drive and use that Disk Utility to access the Windows partition? Should I start over and try this another way?

Thanks for your help!

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

CCC generally doesn't image NTFS drives so there may be where some of your problem lies. Unless something has changed...

Can you unmount your new partition in Disk Utility? That will ensure it is not busy.

B

3. mr666, Jul 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2011

mr666 macrumors regular

To balamw: Are you sure Disk Utility can restore to an unmounted volume? Seems implausible to me.

To Phlebas8717: Install NTFS-3G, restart in Safe Boot and try again. You are correct that Boot Camp makes a special type of partition, so it is the Apple way. Third-party solutions exist.
    http://refit.sourceforge.net/

4. MJL macrumors 6502a

I used Paragon Partition Manager 11 to resize. Ran from under Windows (requires a reboot).

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Block level operations can't be performed on a device when its file system is mounted.

I do this all the time with dd and ntfsclone from the command line in Terminal, but I could be wrong about Disk Utility.

Can you confirm if that was the Pro (i.e. $80) or Personal ($40, but currently $10) edition?

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/features.html

B

6. mr666 macrumors regular

I have a MacBook over in the other room. Let me try an unmounted target disk restore:
    "Restore failure: Could not restore - Cannot allocate memory."

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

That's different from "resource is busy" :p

I still think the fundamental assumption of using CCC to backup and restore is where the main problem lies.

B

8. MJL macrumors 6502a

It is the personal one (I just checked, unfortunately I paid more than that 29.95, you are lucky ....) ;)

9. balamw, Jul 29, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2011

balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Thanks! I bought and downloaded it and will update the MR guide.

EDIT: NOTE: The $9.95 is a 10 day limited duration license, but its still worth it for the task I need to accomplish.

B