Increasing YouTube Streaming Quality?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by bgribin, Mar 20, 2012.

1. bgribin macrumors regular

For whatever reason, YouTube videos don't look quite as sharp as they should on my iPad (and iPhone). When watching a YouTube video on my iMac, the 1080 resolution really shines. But on my iPad, the same video comes across on the same network with slight grainy-ness. I wish there was a way for you set what resolution to play videos at like you're able to on a computer.

Any thoughts about what I can try here? I've had an AirPort Extreme and have messed with it a ton. I regularly get about 30 megabits down when using the iPad. So streaming quality on YouTube should be pristine.

Oh - and when using various other apps, or even Vimeo streaming, the quality is noticeably better.

Thoughts?

2. IvanX macrumors 6502

3. DaveOP macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure about 1080p, but in watching YouTube last night the videos were crystal clear compared to my old iPad 2. It definitely seems likes it's grabbing at least a somewhat better stream to complement the new display.

4. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I'm sure the youtube app on iOS determines your network speed and then plays the appropriate quality. I think if you use the browser version of youtube.com you can manually choose the "HQ" version.

5. bgribin thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, I tried this earlier today and that HQ option on m.youtube.com provides higher quality that what I'm seeing with otherwise embedded videos. I wish there was a way to just always select HQ or a resolution.

The thing is that I have 30mbps internet so I shouldn't be seeing graininess/distortion at all. Oh well.

6. Quotenfrau macrumors 6502

Quotenfrau

are you or your girlfriend heavy torrent users? :D

the technology from Youtube app is called Adaptive bitrate streaming. See
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adaptive_bitrate_streaming