Increasing YouTube Streaming Quality?

bgribin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
For whatever reason, YouTube videos don't look quite as sharp as they should on my iPad (and iPhone). When watching a YouTube video on my iMac, the 1080 resolution really shines. But on my iPad, the same video comes across on the same network with slight grainy-ness. I wish there was a way for you set what resolution to play videos at like you're able to on a computer.

Any thoughts about what I can try here? I've had an AirPort Extreme and have messed with it a ton. I regularly get about 30 megabits down when using the iPad. So streaming quality on YouTube should be pristine.

Oh - and when using various other apps, or even Vimeo streaming, the quality is noticeably better.

Thoughts?

DaveOP

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
Portland, OR
I'm not sure about 1080p, but in watching YouTube last night the videos were crystal clear compared to my old iPad 2. It definitely seems likes it's grabbing at least a somewhat better stream to complement the new display.

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
I'm sure the youtube app on iOS determines your network speed and then plays the appropriate quality. I think if you use the browser version of youtube.com you can manually choose the "HQ" version.

bgribin

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 16, 2010
I'm sure the youtube app on iOS determines your network speed and then plays the appropriate quality. I think if you use the browser version of youtube.com you can manually choose the "HQ" version.
Yep, I tried this earlier today and that HQ option on m.youtube.com provides higher quality that what I'm seeing with otherwise embedded videos. I wish there was a way to just always select HQ or a resolution.

The thing is that I have 30mbps internet so I shouldn't be seeing graininess/distortion at all. Oh well.