Increasingly weird MBP Things

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zachnelson, May 22, 2012.

1. zachnelson macrumors 6502a

2010 Macbook Pro.

preface: Running Mountain Lion, I know it's not perfect.

That being said.

1. Since Lion (and problem occurs on Mountain Lion too), sometimes the screen will freak out and have this mess of random colored crap all over it. It disappears if I scroll the window that I'm in. It's like the graphics card screws up a calculation or something.

2. Since installing Mountain Lion, sometimes when I go to watch a flash video (YouTube), the whole computer just completely locks up. The flash part of the video goes blue/grey/black and then the mouse stops moving, and I have to do a cold restart.

3. Just this morning, my computer got all sluggish and weird. Like the FPS on the screen dropped to like 10 and the mouse was trailing behind my movements. Then the whole thing just shut off, and wouldn't turn back on. Even the battery indicator light didn't function. // When I got it to turn back on, the battery was at 50%.

What the heck is going on? No AppleCare unfortunately, I've learned my lesson with that.

2. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Was the system fan running hard at any point or was the system expelling very hot air in the lead up to these issues?

3. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

In cases 1 and 2, yes and no. 1 and 2 have happened several times, both while the computer was under load and while it was not under load. In the under load cases the fan was on, but not at the max velocity.

In case 3, It had been sitting sleeping all night, and then I used it while eating breakfast. It had been on for ~2 minutes when it just randomly shut down and wouldn't turn on.

4. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Lock ups and screen garbling can be indications of overheating, if the fan is running hard then that would lend some weight to this thought although you would expect similar behaviour running Flash.
    If you have a full back or are in a position to take a full back up then I would do so and then perhaps try a clean install and see how it fares. If all seems well then try restoring your data and testing.
    If the issue comes back then do another clean install and then install and test each app to see if anything brings back the issue.
    If you are okay with opening up your Macbook then take off the rear casing and check the fan is working freely with no blockages and ensure there is no dust etc. inside your Macbook.
    If things look clean inside and you have the same issues with a clean install then it is likely to be a hardware issue. Ensure you can hear the fan okay and it is expelling air as normal to rule out most issues with that.

5. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

6. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Correct.

7. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

The graphical glitches are a known problem, there's a thread around here somewhere with info on it. No known fixes yet, but you're far from alone on this one. It's caused by something in OSX Lion.

8. zachnelson thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting that's good to hear. So it's definitely a software issue and not something internally about to die and start a huge fire and burn my house down? Ahem.