Incredible amounts of beach balls during the winter!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Pavia, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Pavia macrumors regular

Hey guys.

I purchased my MacBook Pro in May this year. Been enjoying it, but since some time in August, it has started to bombard me with beach balls.
    I usually run three apps, Firefox, Adium and Transmission at all time. Firefox is what lags out the most, it's quite annoying and can sometimes be for up to two minutes, where I am unable do ****.
    Right now, after a complete reboot, I even experience the cursor lagging (stops for a very[/] short time), making me miss-click almost everything. (And this is both my mouse and my track pad!)
    I often run the app called Onyx, to clean up things.
    I don't have much experience with Mac, so please tell me if there's any more information you need, in order to help me :)

MacBook Pro (early 2010)
    i7 2.66 ghz
    4 gb ram
    15.4" high res display
    Often running an external display through mini display to HDMI (23" 1920*1080)

Any help is appreciated.

2. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

There is no way that is normal behaviour for that MacBook Pro. I mean my 2-year old MacBook wouldnt beachball doing that - you might want to take it to apple to get checked out, and possibly obtain TechTool Deluxe/Pro to test the RAM and HDD, as it sounds like the hardware is struggling.. which is defintely not normal!

3. Pavia, Nov 5, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2010

Pavia thread starter macrumors regular

I will try out Techtool and see what it says first :] I think I have to send in my MacBook because there's no Apple stores within 200 kilometers of me, only some Humac (certified Mac salesman), but I don't think they can do anything :/

Thank you for your reply!

Edit:

The memory test said everything passed. Running the Surface Scan now.

4. RELOAD911 macrumors member

Transmission might be the cause of your beachballs. I had a similar problem, kinda fixed it by limiting download rate. I guess it beachballed because it accessed HDD at frequent rate and different speeds each time.