Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Just installed DP1, and this is the fastest, smoothest, and most responsive Apple OS I've ever worked on. Every single animation is quick and buttery. Safari pages load instantaneously and without delay. Applications load at least twice as fast. Boot time seems to also be cut in half. I'm shocked at how good this update is!

Currently running on a 2015 rMBP 15" w/ Radeon.

EDIT: other examples of speed—

Mail initially upgrading my database took one second versus the typical 20-30 seconds seen in past OS upgrades. The entire mail app is also 100% smooth and much faster.

Photos opens instantly. There re no perceptible UI delays in this program anymore.

Adobe CC launch times are also halved.

All App Store pages load instantly. No more delays in this app.

Last edited:

neutrak

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014
Excellent! Would you be able to try all this again on the extra space resolution settings and see if this affects it at all?

cookies!

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 3, 2011
Excellent! Would you be able to try all this again on the extra space resolution settings and see if this affects it at all?

Yes! Performance is identical when I'm scaling at the MAXIMUM resolution in display settings when I'm forcing the integrated chip. And of course performance is the same when I force the discrete chip (the M370X).

Holy cow.

Reactions: Jetcat3 and Cardsnk

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia
Yes! Performance is identical when I'm scaling at the MAXIMUM resolution in display settings when I'm forcing the integrated chip. And of course performance is the same when I force the discrete chip (the M370X).

Holy cow.
Excellent, I was hoping performance with the Iris Pro would be better with 10.11!

Reactions: kagharaht

neutrak

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2014

Holy cow.

That is everything I've ever dreamed haha. Amazing to hear. Thanks!

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
If this OS shapes up and proves to be a massive change of speed and performance then I hope they don't keep doing new versions every year. I'm scared they will go back to dumping features without keeping performance in high priority.

Reactions: crjackson2134

Sanlitun

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2014
It certainly seems much snappier than Yosemite on my nMP. One of my big problems with OSX is how slowly all the animations and GUI effects ran. Very impressive.

As well the new system font is indeed more legible and many are going to be happy.

The only issue I have had so far is my MX Master mouse is not working properly.

Reactions: Jetcat3

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
My drive wouldn't let me partition my drive so I just took a risk and installed it over Yosemite.

SMOOTH.

Granted I have a non-retina MBP with hd4000 and never really had lag except under load in mission control... but all the animations are just faster and smoother. Mission Control layout is fantastic now. I believe it was the blur that slowed it down so much, maybe the app icons too? I'm not sure but they're both gone and it makes a big difference.

Scrolling feels faster too, it was smooth before but I think they just sped it up.

XoFu

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2013
Any information on bluetooth? My mouse disconnects erratically in Yosemite, even in 10.10.4 But interestingly enough it only happens with the magic mouse not the mighty mouse o_O

pollaxe

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
West of England
I've not had the chance to thoroughly test everything yet but my mid-2011 MBA seems noticeably faster and more responsive on DP1, too. (Previously it was on the beta of 10.10.4.)

Thus far, colour me impressed!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.