Incredibly Complicated Network Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by LiveFastCyYoung, Nov 4, 2010.

1. LiveFastCyYoung macrumors newbie

Wasn't even sure how to title this topic...

So my Mac Pro is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable that is hooked up to my Powerbook G4 that has internet sharing enabled. The Powerbook G4 is connected to the internet via Airport.

My main iTunes library is on my Mac Pro. I own an Apple TV and would like to be able to access the iTunes library from my Apple TV.

My issue is, since the Mac Pro is connected via internet sharing, it seems like it doesn't get included as part of the network. It is connected to the internet, does everything perfectly fine. But searching for it from my Apple TV or from my iPhone remote app, it seems like it's not "part of the network."

Anyway to make it included in the network when it's connected via internet sharing?

2. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

from what i know of the mac networks i see no reason why it shouldnt be, first go in the network control panel and see if it has an ip address similar to that of your pb g4 ie 192.168.xxx.xxx would be likely for your internal LAN.

If it does then make sure your file sharing etc is on and also in your itunes setting i believe there is an option to turn on the sharing of its library, is it that new thing called home sharing now?

that brings me on to my next questions, what version of itunes is on the mac pro and also the operating system?, i take it has leopard but then your pb g4 is running what exactly?

also how is your apple tv connected, wifi also? and also your wireless hub may have limiting factors aswell but im not too sure.

I think that the answers to these questions will reveal the compatibility issues your having but for it not to be on the network isnt right.

id also try finding the itunes library on your pb if you havent already and also try connecting the mac pro to the wireless network or is it wireless cardless? if so it might be a useful investment.

3. LiveFastCyYoung thread starter macrumors newbie

My Powerbook's IP is 192.168.0.109, which is consistent with the router, which is 192.168.0.1.

My Mac Pro's IP is 192.168.2.6, so I am assuming, the Powerbook's internet sharing is an entirely different DHCP server. The "router" address on the Mac Pro shows up as 192.168.2.1 which is what makes me think that the Powerbook is acting as a separate DHCP.

I am thinking I need to just get a wireless card and not try and game the system on this one. Blah.

4. lordjonny macrumors regular

lordjonny

im not sure it would work but you can set the ip address of your computer when connected to a LAN in network settings, and select manual dhcp and then just set the mac pros ip address as being the next one up, 192.168.0.110 in this case. But i think that wireless cards are relatively inexpensive to a mac pro for sure :p.