Incredibly dumb question about 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jembo, Jun 24, 2009.

1. jembo macrumors newbie

As I understand it, turning off 3g has no effect at all on making and receiving calls and texts. Is this true? Having just edge enabled is the same as both on when it comes to those things?

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yes sir. Really only makes a difference in call quality and data transfer rates.

3. jembo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks. I don't want to have 3g on and killing my battery if I'm just texting, but I wasn't sure if doing this would affect my reception

4. Torq macrumors regular

Not quite.

While for pure phone calls and texting neither "Edge" or "3G" makes any difference, on the iPhone (and other smartphones) there is the issue of simultaneous voice/data usage.

While Edge, and even GPRS, can do simultaneous voice and data, I do not think the iPhone implementation supports it.

So if you are on the phone using Edge you would not get notifications via push, and push/fetch email will not work. I think the iPhone is setup for voice priority though, which means if you are browsing the call will override any data transfer in progress.

If you do not care about the data features while on Edge however, it behaves fundamentally as you describe.

5. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Wow, is it really necessary to complicate things beyond what is being asked?

Read again what the OP said:

6. Torq macrumors regular

Your contribution to what was asked was?

Nothing ... which seems to be the very height of irrelevancy.

A complete answer to a question, covering things the OP may not be aware of as potential considerations, is hardly the end of the world.

Anyone with the most basic grasp of English could parse what they needed from the first two sentences. The additional information merely completes the picture.

7. fleshman03 macrumors 68000

fleshman03

Just for my two cents.

I'm happy he said all that. Knowledge is power and I'm more powerful now!

It's always good to learn more about your phone.

8. swr2000 macrumors member

Only other thing is that you can't surf the internet on edge while talking on the phone. Close enough to what he was asking.

9. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

I don't think that's true. On my 2G iPhone, when I'm surfing on Edge and someone tries to call me, it goes straight to voicemail.

10. Torq macrumors regular

That could well be. I know my Tilt, when it was only in Edge service areas, would ignore the call and keep the data connection.

Been a while since I ran my 3G/3GS on Edge so I was not sure.

I stand corrected :)

11. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

12. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Ya keep rambling.

13. Torq macrumors regular

You missed the point and added nothing.

Very useful.