Incredibly slow Internet - Brand new MBP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AmandaL, Oct 31, 2007.

1. AmandaL macrumors newbie

Hi everyone!

After much debate, I finally took the plunge and bought a mac (been a PC user my whole life). I grabbed a shiny new 2.2ghz Santa Rosa MBP, and (clean) installed leopard on it last night.

Last night, all seemed to be working fine, but today i've noticed that my internet is INCREDIBLY slow. It can take up to 30 seconds to load pages that load instantly on my other computer..

In searching around i've seen other's having this problem, but it's mostly people with G4's. i've changed some setting in sysctl.conf, as suggested in another thread, and although it see a minor improvement, it's still rather slow.

Is anyone else experiencing similar issues or found a fix?

as an fyi : The worst speeds I saw was when I was on an 802.1x encrypted network (which took me about an hour to figure out how to connect to..) On my home internet, with just WPA it was a bit faster, but still pretty sluggish.

2. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Well, it shouldn't be slow. Normally I wouldn't first reach for the sysctl.conf file.

What router/modem have you got? Does it happen when you use an Ethernet cable to bypass the wireless? Have you flashed your modem/router with the latest firmware?

Good luck
    SL

PS: If you're using WPA at home, you should be aware that this is very hackable. Switch to WPA or WPA2 if you can.

3. georgi0 macrumors regular

georgi0

try to reset the DSL line
    then reset the router modem etc.

and do them all via cat5 not WIFI.

very strange...

4. AmandaL thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, yea, I should have mentioned I've tried *all* of that on my home network. (besides flashing the firmware. Haven't had a chance to do that yet.) I'm very good with troubleshooting internet issues, but this one has just left me stumped.

Anyways, the main network i'm having problems on is my school's network, where I obviously have no access to the router. It's 802.1x encryption, and although I can connect, I'm getting about 100KB/s down. I generally get 1-2 MB/s.

Any other ideas?

5. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

So the problem is only when you connect over WiFi?

If so, then I guess you could have a hardware issue with your MBP. If you're anywhere near an Apple store, get a Genius to have a look at it.

Good luck
    SL

6. Zianac macrumors member