Incredibly slow internet browsing

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kenkDK, Sep 24, 2009.

1. kenkDK macrumors newbie

Hi!

I’ve been looking in other threads about this obviously rather common problem, but I haven’t been able to find a solution that worked for me.
    But my problem is that my internet’s incredibly slow, while browsing the internet. I have took some speed test online to measure my bandwidth, and it’s ~18mbit/2mbit, so it shouldn’t be any problem to surf any website really. But it is.

While downloading stuff from the internet, I have no problems though. When I do that I can use my entire bandwidth. And the same goes for torrents. It’s only loading web pages that bothers me – and my God it bothers me! It can take several minutes to load news pages, facebook, whatever – sites that usually run at a fair speed. Sometimes it even times out, due to the long loading time.

I have tried the following without any success:
    1) Run both with and without DNS servers,
    2) switched both on and off between IPv4 and IPv6,
    3) Updated browsers.

The issue goes for both Safari and Firefox.

My hardware is a 13” MacBook Alu, 2.4GHz, and my OS is Leopard. Something ”funny” is though that I have no issues, if I boot the computer from Windows, but obviously I don’t wanna use Windows.

2. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Try going through the modem directly, skipping the router.

3. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

I'm not sure what you mean by running without DNS servers.. you'll need it set somewhere to resolve domain names.

Have you tried using the OpenDNS DNS servers (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) to see if that helps?

4. kenkDK thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, what I mean is, that I've tried to both manually add and remove DNS-servers in the System Preferences. EDIT: There are two "greyed" servers, which cannot be removed though in the System Preferences.

And yes, I have tried OpenDNS. It worked well for quite some time, but for the last week or so I've been having the problems. So I replaced them with other DNS-servers (4.2.2.1 ; 4.2.2.2 ; 4.2.2.3 ; 4.2.2.4 ; 4.2.2.5), without any luck. Then I removed the DNS-servers again, without any luck.

5. kenkDK thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately that's not much of an posibillity, because I live with three others, who doesn't have any problems.

(we use a wireless router, by the way)

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

How reproducible is this problem, is it with every site, or just now and then?

If it's all the time - try opening a website by typing its url (e.g. "http://www.opendns.com"), and then by entering its IP address (e.g. 208.69.38.160), and see if there is a noticeable difference in load time.

Try that for a few sites, which should determine if it's a DNS problem or not.

If that doesn't reveal anything.. open a problematic site, then take a look at the Activity window in Safari's Window menu; which should tell you specifically which files are slow/failing to load. That might help you, if (for instance) web adverts from a specific site are failing to load.

7. redking31591 macrumors 6502

I've been having this same problem since 10.5.8 in safari and firefox. When I type in a webpage the loading box doesn't show up and then I have to click in the address bar and press enter to get the page to even start load, but then it takes forever to load.Downloads, itunes, and other internet connected things are working fine. I'm now on 10.6.1 and having the same problem.

edit. I also meant to add that this only occurs on some networks, some of the time.

8. kenkDK thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. Well, I'm sort of "glad", that I'm not the only one with this particualar problem. Maybe it's some stupid OS-bug?

9. BobZune macrumors 6502a

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

11. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

It might help:

1. Download OnyX (a free maintenance utility).
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

2. Open OnyX and Click Cancel on these two Alert Panels:
    -Cancel the S.M.A.R.T. Box
    -Cancel the Startup Volume Box

3. Enter your Password

4. Click on the Cleaning Tab

5. In each tab, within the Cleaning Tab, execute the command. Check all the boxes in each tab. When its finished in that tab, it will ask you to reboot. Say NO. Go on to the next tab and repeat until all tabs, within the Cleaning Tab, are done. THEN REBOOT.

12. jkhelsley macrumors newbie

I bought my macbook pro in August and have been having the same problem with slow internet. Changing the DNS (4.2.2.x) has worked well for me, but it poses another pesky problem.

While on my home network, changing the DNS is a wonderful solution, however, go to school and I have to go back into network preferences and remove them, or the school's system won't let me on.

Come back home, go back in and add them again. Doing this twice a day is annoying as can be.

13. Jelite macrumors 6502a

Same problem 13"MBP Snow Leopard, since i reset the router last week everything has been fine, the only problem i can think of is torrents overloading the router from my PC although it never affected browsers on the PC or torrents/downloads on either computer.