Incredibly Slow Optibay Read/Write Speeds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liquidtwitch, Feb 24, 2012.

1. liquidtwitch macrumors newbie

Hi Guys,

Incredibly slow read/write speeds with my 500gb drive in my OptiBay slot. Will sometimes make it to 30MB/s but usually is far below, just slightly above the 0 mark with Black Magic Speedtest, some partitions won't mount, videos won't play and bootable partitions won't boot.

Drive works fine under sata-usb converter, gets read speeds of 30MB/s or so, which I believe is standard for usb 2.0.

Logicboard has recently been replaced, and this occurred soon as I got the Mac back and put my drives back in.... So I'm tempted to put blame on a faulty sata controller, however when I put the superdrive back in it reads/writes fine (couldn't find away to benchmark, but it installed iLife in 2-3mins).

Also, I plugged the OptiBay with the drive inside of it into the sata-usb adapter that I use with the superdrive and it got the same read/write speeds as it did when the drive was just plugged into the sata-usb converter..

So i'm at a loss as to what's causing this... can anyone offer any suggestions or insights?

Thanks Heaps

2. simsaladimbamba

What specific MBP and OptiBay adapter are you using?

3. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Sounds like it might be the sata controller on the hd.

Try and replicate this issue by putting your hd drive in the main hd slot and your primary hd in the optibay slot. If the 500gb hd is still slow, it's the sata controller on the 500gb hd that's the problem.

4. liquidtwitch thread starter macrumors newbie

5. liquidtwitch thread starter macrumors newbie

urgh, put the 320g in and it's working fine! strange that the 500gb works fine under usb, but not when in the optibay, but at least it's working.

Thanks for the help!