.indd to .pdf files! Urgent Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mlw1235, Apr 11, 2007.

1. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Hi All!!

I have a huge document due tommorow...long story but my friend has indesign on her computer and gets the .indd files.

However, she needs to keep working and we were wondering if there was anyway that she could somehow transfer the file to my computer (which does not have indesign) and reencode it as .pdf.

Any help is helpful!!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In Indesign, on her computer - you can export as a pdf. However, you cannot edit after that point.

3. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

Shouldn't be a problem....

Both Indesign and Acrobat are made by Adobe, and PDF is their own invention, so going from Indesign to PDF is no big shakes. If your friend is an Indesign user, she should be pretty familiar with the process.

If she needs a reminder, its

(i) Open file in Indesign,
    (ii) File-->Export (the default output is Adobe PDF),
    (iii) e-mail to you (or however you're expecting to get it).

Good luck! :)

4. Dannymonky macrumors member

Dannymonky

Have Illustrator?

If u have Illustrator she can export as EPS and u will be able to edit as long as theres no font issues. I still dont use indesign so much so most times i export to EPS and make all changes in Illustrator. Works for me.

5. mlw1235 thread starter macrumors 6502

Her computer is about 2GB of RAM short of doing all this at the same time.

She needs to keep working on stuff so it can get done....that's why we need a way to somehow get them from indd to pdf without necessarily using indesign.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Bad timing. Normally, I would say download the InDesign tryout (200mb+ from Adobe's site (30 days fully-functional) but all the CS tryout files have been pulled due to the imminent release of CS3... you would also need to have all the fonts used in the project installed on your machine as well as the .indd files.

Really, the process of making PDFs from InDesign files is pretty painless and her doing them is the only way you're going to get this done in a hurry. What were you intending to do with the PDFs?

7. mlw1235 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for your help everyone!

I ended up heading out to the library with a flash drive filled with the files and did it there. They have CS2 all installed, with lots of RAM in the computers.

Lots faster. Less Pain.

We are preparing a bid for our Residence Hall Council for Marquette's "Council of the Year" award and it all being done in InDesign (hence the need here).