Indecisive...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Browndog221, May 11, 2008.

1. Browndog221 macrumors newbie

Well, I'm about ready to make the switch and move into the Apple universe, but I need some advice.

Here's the deal: I'm primarily getting a Mac so I can make music with Garageband or Logic. I'll also be doing the standard stuff like web-browsing, word processing, iTunes, and the occasional game.

I was looking at the 20-inch 2.4 iMac refurb, which is at a great price and would look perfect on my desk. But there's a definite advantage to having a laptop when you're working with music. They've got some good prices on the 2.4 Macbooks and the 2.4 Macbook Pros in the refurb section too.

My problem isn't cash, it's deciding between a desktop or a laptop. I feel like the iMac is a big stationary commitment, the Macbook isn't powerful enough, and the Macbook Pro is unnecessarily extravagant. But when it comes down to it, I want a Mac.

What's my best option for working with music? Will I be okay with a Macbook, or will a Macbook Pro be the better bet? And would the iMac be a better choice than the Macbook Pro?

Thanks for the help!

2. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Hmm...well I would think Garageband would be faster on an iMac (with adequate ram, of course) because of the faster 7200 RPM hard drive. I could be wrong, though.

Here's a good way to think it through: when do you use your computer? Where would you like to use it? A MacBook can be portable but you can also hook it up to an external display, mouse, etc. The iMac must always remain on your desk.

You're in a pretty unfortunate situation as you're pretty much indecisive (like you say) about the whole lineup! MacBook vs. MacBook Pro vs. iMac Argg!!

Let's go through each system:

MacBook: best price, most portable. Slowest (it's still very fast, though).

MacBook Pro - dedicated graphics card and larger screen are the two biggest differences.

iMac - will probably give you the best overall experience due to its speed, large screen, etc.

If they were all the same price, which would you take?

3. Browndog221 thread starter macrumors newbie

If they were all the same price, I'd probably take the Macbook Pro. It'd be powerful enough to do whatever I wanted, and I'd have the option of taking it anywhere as well. I've heard it's great for working with audio.

The Macbook has a nice price, but the screen would be too small for Garageband. And the iMac has a great harddrive and screen, but it just sits there.

I've heard rumors that Apple might change the casing for its laptops, so I'll hold off for a few months. Thanks for your advice though!

4. k3rnelkurtz macrumors newbie

I used to make music all the time on my Macbook with Logic Express. It handles the program fine, there's no lag or anything like that, and this was on the original Core Duo 1.83 with 2GB RAM. The only thing is that it gets the fan whirring really loud, but I think that would happen on a Macbook Pro too. Macbook's really the best value for making music... just hook up an external display if you need the added real estate.

5. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Ok so it sounds like you want a MacBook Pro! I think it would work great for you. In terms of the redesign...don't hold your breath. If you need it now, buy it now. If you don't need it now, then waiting won't hurt. Keep in mind that the current design is really great, and the current MacBook Pros have incredible value in them. Also, keep in mind that if the rumors start to be VERY strong (i.e. as strong as the rumors are now for the 3G iPhone) then you can always sell the MacBook Pro with perfect timing, and you can get the new one (of course if the new design is VERY good!). Macs have surprisingly high resale value. I'm saying all this because if you really need the computer and want it, there's no point in waiting because people who say that always end up waiting forever, lol. Also, the current MacBook Pros were JUST updated (doesn't mean we might not see a case redesign soon, but you are indeed paying todays prices for todays technology, not like for example the mac mini where you are paying for old tech.)

6. mrwindup macrumors member

If you want to run garageband, get a MBP. That's what I use and I couldn't be any more pleased with the way it runs and the audio I receive from the standard speakers alone.