Indenting bullets in the notes app

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mebpenguin, Jan 9, 2016.

1. mebpenguin macrumors newbie

I'm running into an annoyance with my iPad Pro. When using notes and bullets with a keyboard, the tab key won't indent the bullet, it just jumps the cursor over as if you were on a regular line. Does anyone know of any way to indent bullets in notes using the keyboard? It's driving me nuts to reach out, tap the screen and then tap the indent button every time.

Thanks!

2. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

I'd love to know an answer to this myself :/ it's extremely frustrating... I've been just manually indenting i.e. 'delete bullet point' -> 'tab' -> 'make bullet point'

3. mebpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

So agree. I've tried every key combination I can think of, and so far nothing has worked. I fear that what's most likely is that they just left it out of this version, so every time I see an update I hope that they fix it, but nothing thus far.

4. ssong macrumors 6502a

ssong

Well they seem to be trying to add more features and functionality to make Notes more competitive against OneNote and other apps, so fingers crossed :)

5. PattyMc macrumors regular

PattyMc

Try tapping the Aa, you will see what you need. Instant bullet! And if you tap the circle, instant checklist.

6. jamesrick80 macrumors 68000

jamesrick80

I use google keep or onenote when it comes to note taking applications for quick jot downs.......I do not like the Apple notes application at all......

7. mebpenguin thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the response, but not quite what I was looking for. What I want is a keyboard shortcut to indent a bullet once you've already got one. This is almost universally done via the tab key, but that doesn't work in the Notes app. The funny thing is that you can outdent by simply hitting Enter, why would they have skipped the indent feature via keyboard shortcuts?

8. BWhaler macrumors 68020

BWhaler

Maybe try command- or option- tab?

It should be a keyboard shortcut, and also a button on the toolbar. Multi-tap is a mistake.

9. BBD macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Apr 23, 2016 ---
    The solution is very simple really. Select the feature you want (e.g., 'Dash List'); tap the screen and a mini menu pops up. Select the 'Indent' or 'Outdent' option. da da........
    Had me foxed for a few days as I just couldn't work it out. Silly solution really, but at least it now works. I can ditch the possibility of using MS OneNote and continue with Notes

10. TrueBlou, Apr 23, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2016

TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

Well it wont automatically indent, but if you hold Option and press the number 8 you'll get the bullet point "dot" if you follow that by pressing Tab you have your indented bullet point.

It's what I do, its quick once you get used to it. If you want to speed things up even more, use it in conjunction with holding Control and using the arrow left/right keys to jump between the start and end of the sentence.

*Edit

I should say actually, that's on a hardware keyboard. I've not tried it on the software one. I think the quickest way to at least get the • on the software one is by holding down the - key. But I'll have to have a play for the indent if it's the software keyboard you're looking to use.

*Edit again
    Actually, just had a play in notes with the software keyboard. If you hold the - key and select the • from the popup, then press space straight afterwards, it indents the • automatically for you.

*Final edit, probably
    Just tried in Notes with the hardware keyboard. Same thing, hold Option and press 8 for the • and then space straight afterwards will also indent the • for you.

Sorry for all the edits and waffling, at this time of day my medication is in full swing. Think yourself lucky you're not hear to hear me singing along to everything :D

11. JonesNoahT macrumors newbie

JonesNoahT

If you're trying to indent the bullet, select the text next to the bullet and hit "indent" in context menu.