Independent consultancy tests iPhone4 antenna performance with surprising results

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peterdevries, Jul 30, 2010.

1. peterdevries macrumors 68040

peterdevries

An independent technology consultancy firm has posted their own test results of the iPhone4 antenna performance and compared it with handsets of other manufacturers. It confirms that the Death Grip is unique to the iPhone4.

This is the conclusion:

The entire report can be found here

And a slightly cheesy (english humor ;)) youtube movie here

2. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

Welcome to a month ago.

Sorry to be a douche but seriously this is not news anymore. It's a problem, were dealing with it, end of story.

3. peterdevries thread starter macrumors 68040

peterdevries

There hasn't been any independent confirmation by any party that has the technical means to test it properly and scientifically. In addition, it actually subtly differs from Apple's own statements, so I think it is news.

4. Russiaone macrumors 6502

I just wanted to reply with my own personal findings...

I had both an iPhone 3G and 3GS... with both phones service would drop completely when a train entered a subway station...

You already know where I'm going with this...

Now, whenever I enter an underground portal my phone sustains a 3 bar signal pretty much the whole time... Tell me that isn't amazing... And I don't care about wearing a case, because I ALWAYS wore a case with the others. Re-sale value is a big thing with me... Besides, I like taking care of my stuff. OK, I've gone on a tangent. I'm done.

5. illutionz macrumors 65816

Actually Anandtech previously ran a test ;)

6. weespeed macrumors 6502

It's not a problem according to Steve Jobs and many of the apple fanboys.

7. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

You can run as many "scientific tests" as you want. Yields the same results.

8. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I love Apple as much as the hardcore fanboy, but it's the isheep that are the ones believing anything El Jobso puts out.

9. peterdevries thread starter macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Whoa! Don't you know that underground portals are really dangerous? The stresses that are being put on the time and space fabric can be so big that you could tear up this entire dimension. In addition the electromagnetic interference in underground portals is so big that it most definitely will scramble your mobile signal. It's the same thing that happens in the Bermuda Triangle. Well, almost the same but without the UFO's.
    :D

Sorry... I just couldn't resist.

10. peterdevries thread starter macrumors 68040

peterdevries

Isn't it for exactly those reasons a good idea that some independent proper testing of this problem occurs by professionals? I'm a scientist and more prepared to believe a well established consultancy with a good track record than Apple (the producer) or a few youtube video's by teens with a Flip Mino.

11. Statusnone88 macrumors 65816

Statusnone88

I was just saying the whole situation is like beating a dead horse at this point. Most of us acknowledge there's an issue, but the pros far outweigh the cons of the phone so we just deal with it.

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I agree. While I appreciate the study, it's pretty much what everyone has stated except for apple and most of us know the deal. The isheep will never get it no matter how many test you show them, they only listen to what jobs tells them. It's sad really.

13. weespeed macrumors 6502

I totally agree with you. I have many apple products and will call it how I see it and not how apple wants me to see it.

14. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

This is the only apple product I own and this isn't a problem for me. Maybe it's because I don't deathgrip my phone when I'm using it like any normal person would

15. weespeed macrumors 6502

Why does 'death grip' always comes up? You don't need to 'death grip' it to drop a call. That's a fact. Steve and apple can say or call it whatever. It's a fact that it happens.

Happens to me but i've never complained, but I'm not blind and will not accept what Steve jobs tells me. Like I said I call it how I see it.

And why is it 'like any normal person' grip because your phone doesn't drop a call? All of a sudden after the iPhone 4 there's a wrong way or a normal way to hold a phone? What happened to just holding a damn phone?