Indesign and filenames

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by dazzer21, Dec 10, 2008.

1. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

In InDesign, if I produce a new artwork based on an existing file (ie just adapting the previous version and saving with a new filename), when I go to make a PDF of it, it maintains the filename of the PDF previously made from that file. To explain:

Open a new file and call it 'ad wc 8_12_08'. Make a PDF of the file called 'ad wc 8_12_08.pdf' and save to desired location.

Keep the same InDesign file open and adapt with required changes. Rename the file 'ad wc 15_12_08' and save. Go to make a PDF and the default filename is still 'ad wc 08_12_08.pdf' with the save location being as before.

Being used to Quark (Boo!), the default filename of the pdf file just apes that of the file I'm working on. Is there a way to stop inDesign doing this, as producing batch PDF files has become an absolute pain, having to manually change the PDF name each time.

Hope that all makes sense...

2. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5G77 Safari/525.20)

Yes, last PDF name is stored with document along with file path. So when duplicated, you will have to rename PDF. If, as I recall, the PDF shares the same name as the ID file, the PDF name may auto update if ID file is duplicated. (Can't verify on iPhone.)