InDesign CS2 - help!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lauren.hynde, Aug 21, 2007.

1. lauren.hynde macrumors newbie

Hi everyone

I desperately need to get hold of a copy of InDesign CS2 - I'm doing some regular freelance work for a publisher. I sorted myself out a copy of CS3 but after doing my first lot of work, it turned out that they all use CS2.

I know you can save them as a special sort of file that can be opened in CS2 (can't remember the name right now) but that doesn't work - because I get files including text and pics, but not the images files, if I save them this way the pictures all vanish because of the missing links.

I trawled the net and managed to find a 30 day trial of CS2 which I've been happily using, thinking that I'd be able to track down a full version in that time, but I've had no luck. Now I have no program, which means no work, which is a complete disaster!

If anyone can help me out at all, or has any ideas, I would very much appreciate it - feel free to reply, send me a message or email me.

Many thanks
    A very desperate (and broke!) girl

2. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

I don't know where to get Indesign CS2, but here's an idea. You could embed the images into the InDesign file rather than linking them. I think that might solve the missing image issue when you save it into InDesign Exchange format.

3. lauren.hynde thread starter macrumors newbie

Embedding images

Thanks for your advice, it's very much appreciated.

I don't know if embedding the images is really a possibility though.

The work I'm doing is basically sub-editing - the designer sets up the page, placing the text and images in InDesign, and then the pages come to me for checking. When I receive them, I get a dialogue box warning me of 'missing links' because the designer doesn't send the pics over - obviously I can still view them in the file, but can't save the file into Exchange format.

After I'm done with the pages, they go back to the editor and through several more stages before being sent to press, and I don't know how embedding the images would affect these later stages. I also don't know if I would be able to embed the images when I don't have the original files, or whether it's something the designer has to do.

Besides, I can't ask them to change their workflow too much, as they'll just see me as awkward and find someone else to do the work!

I've realised my post looks like I'm trying to avoid paying for it - this isn't the case, I've searched all the usual places and I can't find a copy for sale (being in England cuts down the options further) or a downloadable version.

Thanks again, though.

4. grafikat macrumors 6502a

grafikat

I've had limited experience with CS3, but I think you could package the file, then save the export (indx?) file in the same folder. I had to get CS2 with my new iMac, as the rest of the company is still on CS2. Photoshop isn't much zipper running on rosetta than my G4!

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

6. lauren.hynde thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks guys.

As far as I can see, saving to an indx file causes the pictures to vanish because I don't have the originals on my system, and this would mean them having to be added to the page again, which would rather defeat the purpose of me doing my job! I'm sure there is a way around it, but I have no idea what it is (it's even more difficult as my partner has taken our MacBook on a press trip for a few days, so I can't try things out!).

If you remove the trial version, it must leave some kind of registry files somewhere as if you reinstall it knows that the trial has already expires. It's clever stuff, if a bit frustrating!

7. brownink macrumors newbie

Need Link To Trial Of Indesign Cs2

Can anyone provide me with a link or similar access to a trial version of InDesign CS2? Desperate. Thank you. jb@browninkdesign.biz

-jb