Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
When I shift+drag in InDesign CS3 with the Magic Mouse, I get some weird results. Sometimes (not all the time, but enough to be annoying) the canvas will act as if I'm scrolling and dragging at the same time, causing the element I'm dragging to jump all over the screen. I've tried this mouse on two different Macs and both have the issue, and I've also tried swapping out the mouse because I thought it was defective, but the issue persists.

Does anyone know if this is an Apple/Adobe issue, if it's just CS3 (I'll be getting CS5 when it's released, so if that fixes it, great) or if maybe I have a software/driver issue? I tried (re)installing the Magic Mouse software update but it wouldn't let me.

Here's a video of what's happening (the first couple of seconds is messed up for some reason, but it clears up) in case that helps.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
I'm using CS4 and find that sometimes something similar happens. Though I tend to assume I've lightly brushed the surface of the mouse and somehow scrolled it. Would be interested to find out if it's not been my fault all along...?

/Doug

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
I thought I was doing something like that the first time, but there's really no way for that to happen because (in that video, for instance) my finger is pressed firmly down to click and no other fingers are touching the mouse.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Just installed MouseZoom after hearing about it on this video blog entry on YouTube.

It's only been a few minutes, so I can't say with 100% certainty that I'm completely fixed, but everything seems to be working as intended now. No more twitchy tracking, no more cursor jumping across the screen in InDesign. Everything is smooth.

design-is

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
London / U.K.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

IgnatiusTheKing, thanks for your research! I'll give this a go tomorrow and see if I encounter any issues.

Though I don't think I've been affected as much as yourself.

/Doug

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.