InDesign CS5 Interactive help

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by khamla, May 24, 2010.

1. khamla macrumors member

Yes I am in the right forum because i'm trying to design our website using InDesign CS5 in Interactive mode. This is the first time i'm doing this and I have a few questions. But i'll give you guys a brief background story first so you wont have to ask questions on why i'm doing this.

As you know web developers are really expensive and our company is short on money to spend on a flash designer to keep making updates and adding new content to our current flash website which someone else made. So they are wanting me with a print background to try to find different ways we can recreate our original website inhouse using a different software. Yes it sucks but i'm trying since i don't know flash or dreamweaver. I've tried with iWeb and it didn't have flash content, i tried Wix and the servers kept crashing so now i'm using InDesign CS5.

Ok so we have our original website, but i'm practicing on a dummy website first. Website is here http://www.6hourboost.com

Ok questions I have:
    1) for some reason the website loads too long. I'm not sure how to keep it down. Does this do this for you too.
    2) How do I center the page and have it stretch when you maximize the screen? I have not found this on InDesign. I also would like to change the screen bg from gray to my own. I have not found anything that can do this but my boss keeps saying there has to be a way, but no luck.
    3) For now click on the Italy page because all the pages will look similar to that because we want them to look consistent. For some reason the video dissappears and wont play. It plays in my preview screen but for some reason after i publish it, it wont.

2. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Youve run into a typical problem...a company not wanting to pay for a web designer and coder, but wanting the benefits of having one in house.

You are in an awkward position to say the least. While this new CS5 interactive layout idea has some awesome potential, it is certainly not the thing I would offer to someone with ZERO coding experience.

Im sure eventually the interactive stuff in CS5 will take off, with tons of tweaks, hacks, help, advice and examples. But right now, if you dont know how to do Flash or HTML/CSS then using this interactive CS5 will only make things more confusing for you.

But hey, I havent had the opportunity to use it, only see how it works. So what do I know!?

3. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Yes it does. The reason is that the front end is a Flash file that weighs in at 3.5MB. If you divide this by typical download speeds, this works out at anywhere from maybe 15-30 seconds on a slowish ADSL connection, or 10 minutes on a modem.