InDesign export to PDF help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qua, Mar 27, 2012.

1. qua macrumors member

I need to export an entire book file to PDF for the printer. All images are tritones - but the end up flat and light in the PDF.
    1- the same images export to pdf from Photoshop beautifully
    2- I am using no compression, conversion, etc. in my export

This is my first time working with tritones. The results were such that printing from Photoshop to my 7800, they are almost indistinguishable from their grayscale equivalents. In InDesigh they look good (although they do go light and flat when I set Overprint Preview).

MacPro, ID CS5.5

Can anyone help, thanks… (no answers on Adobe forum yet)

2. SirYossi macrumors regular

Did you try printing in OS X and instead of actually printing save it as a PDF?
    In adobe InDesign do you change the PDF presets at all? In CS4 you can change the quality of the PDF to high quality to low quality to different publisher standards or custom the export with the PDF did you try each of them? Another option is calibrate your monitor what you see on screen might not be the true output on the printer!
    I would first try printing in the OS and save as PDF and see if that does it for you! Then if not mess with the quaility settings for PDF output.
    If all else fails try to look into monitor calibration. there are tools out there for screen calibration.
    hope this helps as i never used CS5.5 so not sure what the difference is between that and the CS4 version

3. qua thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for getting back to me…

This is a book of B&W images. I print the originals from Photoshop. The book is being printed in tritones - the printer wants the file in PDF format. So this is my first crack at that - although I am used to providing PDFs for printers - grayscale and cmyk.
    Really no difference in this area between CS4 and 5.5 (certainly not worth the $4). It's just that the printer wants a pdf from the ID file. Oddly, the same images in grayscale covert to PDF perfect from ID. Offset can be a bear when working with tritones, and my printer is as new to it as I am. As a Photoshop PDF it would be easy. I've tried messing with every combination of Ink settings in ID, but to no avail.

Display is fine, any other format - grayscale, tritone, Photoshop PDF they are perfect and print as viewed. It's just that darn pdf from ID that I have to give to the printer that looks like crap and prints the same here.

4. yukio macrumors regular

What setting for Black do you have in In Design-->Preferences-->Appearance of Black-->Printing/Exporting?

For some reason thinking Rich Black might serve you better than "regular" black.