Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tfsweet

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2005
Hey Guys,
I'm fairly new to InDesign CS2 but did use Pagemaker a bit more and I was wondering what the purpose of linking is? My friend sent me an ID document and I opened it up but it says that I have to link up certain graphics and such but those graphics still show up in the ID document. In pagemaker, I was always told to link up pictures so that they will show on the template so they show inside the document. In IDCS2, it is necessary to link the all the graphics and whatnot? If so, what is the exact reasoning behind this?

-Thanks

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
If you're talking about the items that show up in the "Links" palette...

On screen, ID renders an approximate idea of all the images that you place or import into the document. This is just for placement, however, and doesn't show the final output. For final output, ID just remembers the location of these graphics and instead inserts the actual file (.tif, .psd, .ai, etc.) in that space, thereby assuring that you get an accurate, high quality result.

The files are linked rather than embedded in order to keep file size down and assure that you are able to edit the source files at will and not have to worry about re-embedding them, or placing them again. All you have to do is update them.

QuarkXpress works the same way. If you need to send these files to another computer to print, or to an outside print vendor, it is important that you grab all of the image files as well as the .indd or Quark document. "Package" or "Collect for Output" (under the File menu) is what this is used for.

nightwolf

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2005
Ontario, CANADA
Linking with indesign

If you ever send files in indesign to a printer or anyway else or vice versa. You must include all files including pictures, fonts etc. Other wise they will not appear in your file if they are not included. The pictues that appear in indesign are actaully not there. The images are linked the same way as websites are made.

Hope that works

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
InDesign just stores a reference to the file, not the actual file itself. This is done to preserve hard drive space (InDesign files are already HUGE!).

If you email the document, or transport it another way, you need to Package it first. This takes everything you need to recreate the page, and includes it in a folder. This folder includes fonts, pictures, preferences, etc.

Missing Links is known as "huge pain in the ass" but Spotlight will help with finding those...

Keep a good filing system for pictures and other data you need. Then, don't change it. That will prevent most, or all, of your missing links.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.