InDesign-Mac / InCopy-PC Font Issues?

Discussion in 'Design and Graphics' started by MacCrisis, Jun 16, 2010.

1. MacCrisis macrumors newbie

The university publishing department I work for has our designers working on Macs with InDesign and our editors on PC's using InCopy. Supposedly everyone is using the same OpenType fonts but the designers insist that differences between the two platforms' font handling are causing formatting issues. I would have hoped that the OpenType fonts avoided any such issues.

My question is whether there are any known formatting issues with InDesign on the Mac and InCopy on the PC even if all parties are properly using OpenType fonts or if some other issue (user error, configuration, etc.) is a more likely source of the problem? As desirable as having everyone on Macs may be, I can't believe that others aren't successfully managing an environment like this.

Any help you can offer would be appreciated. Thanks in advance,
    MC

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Wow! The problems primarily relate to the differences in the operating systems, not the fonts or applications. Historically, the Mac has been based on a 72 dpi line making each pixel closely match a US/UK typesetting point. Windows has historically assumed 96 dpi lines which closely matches I don't know what. What I do know is that there can be subtle differences between the character spacing by Mac and Windows apps using the same fonts. It may be enough to throw-off a single character on the page, but that single character may throw off the formatting of the whole page. You may work around this issue by manually adjusting the kerning of characters in the layout.

IMHO, your university has created unnecessary proofing issues by dividing its document creation workflow between Macs and Windows.