Indexing problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by PatientWaiter, Dec 21, 2013.

1. PatientWaiter macrumors newbie

I never realized how much I use spotlight until it stopped working and I'm lost without it.

A few days ago, I went to use it and it says "...Spotlight will be available as soon as the contents of your computer have been indexed." with a status/time remaining bar that looks like a spinning barbershop poll... it's not giving an estimated time.

I have had a sneaking suspicion my computer is on its last legs for a few months now. She's over 7 years old now. I literally have to smack the case hard to get it to stop making a loud vibrating, crunchy sound so that it will stop sputtering and resume working. Is this the sign of a failing HD? Seems to be that it's still functional as I type on it now.

At the least, I need spotlight back up and running. Any solutions?

Macbook Pro (1,1)
    Intel Core Duo 2.16 GHz

Cheers,
    PW

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That does sound like you have a hard drive on its last legs. :(

You might be able to get it going a bit by doing a disk repair. If you are on Lion 10.7 or later, do a command-r boot to recovery then use Disk Utility to do a repair disk. If you are prior to Lion, boot from your installer DVD and do the same thing.

Then afterward, reindex Spotlight by entering the command below in Terminal.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /
    Make sure you have a backup before you do this. A word of warning though, if the drive is in really bad shape, a repair disk can actually sometimes make it worse.