Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
How do I find out what the "Indexing Volumes" message is doing with Spotlight?

All I see is the little dot inside the hour glass and when I hover over it, the message, "Indexing Volumes".

Is this type of thing normal?

Thanks.

-- M

Ivan P

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Home
How do I find out what the "Indexing Volumes" message is doing with Spotlight?

All I see is the little dot inside the hour glass and when I hover over it, the message, "Indexing Volumes".

Is this type of thing normal?

Thanks.

-- M

It's normal if it's a new Mac or you've just reinstalled the OS - it means it's scanning through everything on your computer so that Spotlight can do it's job. It also does it when you plug in an external drive, it scans all the contents so that Spotlight search will show results for that drive too. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you how long is remaining for the indexing (though on a new Mac it can take a little while).

If this is happening on a Mac that isn't new or hasn't recently had an OS reinstall, then disregard what I said, I have no idea about that :(

Mork

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 9, 2009
It's normal if it's a new Mac or you've just reinstalled the OS - it means it's scanning through everything on your computer so that Spotlight can do it's job. It also does it when you plug in an external drive, it scans all the contents so that Spotlight search will show results for that drive too. Unfortunately it doesn't tell you how long is remaining for the indexing (though on a new Mac it can take a little while).

If this is happening on a Mac that isn't new or hasn't recently had an OS reinstall, then disregard what I said, I have no idea about that :(

Not a new iMac. Had it for months.

Does that make a difference?

I guess I should just let it run for as many hours as it needs, eh?

Seems to stop if I reboot.

(Confused by this.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.