Indexing

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
In Tiger Spotlight indexes files for the light fast searching, but

1. How long does the indexing take per GB ?

2. Is there anywhere to see how far the indexing progress is ?

3. When you add files it automatically indexes it..or ? if so does that take long ?
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,239
2
London, England
When you first install Tiger it will index everything, and spotlight won't be available while it's doing this. How long it takes per GB I don't know exactly. It took about 30-40 minutes to index about 100GB on my iMac. Once the first indexing is complete it is then updated on the fly, you will never notice it doing it again. Very cool stuff indeed :cool:
 

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
21,922
169
edesignuk said:
It took about 30-40 minutes to index about 100GB on my iMac.
I assume that this is your retail box of Tiger that was "delivered" early or perhaps your developers' preview copy? :)
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
edesignuk said:
When you first install Tiger it will index everything, and spotlight won't be available while it's doing this. How long it takes per GB I don't know exactly. It took about 30-40 minutes to index about 100GB on my iMac. Once the first indexing is complete it is then updated on the fly, you will never notice it doing it again. Very cool stuff indeed :cool:
Thanks

Well then it is as good as I thought :rolleyes:

Nice to hear you have got Tiger early :p

But is there a way to see how far it is in progress :confused:
 

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
2,580
0
On a jet plane
That's pretty quick e. I've heard reports of it taking hours. At least it's a whole lot quicker than trying to index your HD now - I remember it required an overnight session to index the 40GB HD on my PB :eek:
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
munkle said:
That's pretty quick e. I've heard reports of it taking hours. At least it's a whole lot quicker than trying to index your HD now - I remember it required an overnight session to index the 40GB HD on my PB :eek:
But can it be that it takes advantage of the G5 :eek:
 

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
19,239
2
London, England
Platform said:
But is there a way to see how far it is in progress :confused:
Yes, when it's first indexing and you click on the spotlight icon, you will see a progress bar and an ETA for completion of the initial index.
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
edesignuk said:
Yes, when it's first indexing and you click on the spotlight icon, you will see a progress bar and an ETA for completion of the initial index.
Oh OK thanks ;)
 

munkle

macrumors 68030
Aug 7, 2004
2,580
0
On a jet plane
biohazard_6969 said:
R U SERIOUS!!!! IS MY 1.33 ghz 12" pb going to run tiger slow!!!!!!!!!!! if so that is unacceptable, apple can't expect me to buy a new computer to use Tiger
Don't have a panic attack just yet! Your computer will run Tiger fine, there really is no need to worry. :)
 

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
1,922
26
MD/VA/DC
biohazard_6969 said:
R U SERIOUS!!!! IS MY 1.33 ghz 12" pb going to run tiger slow!!!!!!!!!!! if so that is unacceptable, apple can't expect me to buy a new computer to use Tiger
Well from your sig you seem to be in ample supply of computers. Just go buy another one then money bags Mc. Goo if you're worried a little breeze outside will slow your computer up too. Better yet, put a wind shield around it! Those are hot!
 

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
6,405
3,316
Florida Resident
Platform said:
1. How long does the indexing take per GB ?
I would have to depend on the object. A 1 GB Quicktime file will just have it's metadata indexed and that probably would take less than a second. But if you had 1 GB of Word documents then it would take a long time. I wonder if 1 GB of PDF files will scan faster than 1 GB of Word Docs just because PDF is native in the OS.

On a side topic, I used the Desktop Google search tool to index about 30 GBs of files on my PC and it took about 4 hours or so. The bad part was that it didn't update the links when files were removed. It seems to be a worthless tool as time goes on. I prefer Spotlight's approach but I hope I am not disappoined in it also.
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
biohazard_6969 said:
R U SERIOUS!!!! IS MY 1.33 ghz 12" pb going to run tiger slow!!!!!!!!!!! if so that is unacceptable, apple can't expect me to buy a new computer to use Tiger
Noooo........just saying that heavy tasks run faster on a G5..such as Indexing ;)
 

BornAgainMac

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2004
6,405
3,316
Florida Resident
Text Search in Spotlight

I have an Spotlight question. If you have unsupported files such as *.php, *.lis, *.c, *.4gl, *.sql and they are really just standard Text files then can you still use Spotlight to search the contents?

I know there is a API to extend Spotlight in your application but I use "vi" to view these files. I just want to tell Spotlight that the following types are text files. I heard about Spotlight plug-ins so I assume there is a way to tell the Spotlight Text plug-in the list of filetypes I want to include.
 

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
2,879
0
BornAgainMac said:
I would have to depend on the object. A 1 GB Quicktime file will just have it's metadata indexed and that probably would take less than a second. But if you had 1 GB of Word documents then it would take a long time. I wonder if 1 GB of PDF files will scan faster than 1 GB of Word Docs just because PDF is native in the OS.

On a side topic, I used the Desktop Google search tool to index about 30 GBs of files on my PC and it took about 4 hours or so. The bad part was that it didn't update the links when files were removed. It seems to be a worthless tool as time goes on. I prefer Spotlight's approach but I hope I am not disappoined in it also.
Thanks

You are right, I did not think of that :eek:
 

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
29,777
12
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Hmmm...I'm wondering if the slow hard drives on a lot of our laptops are going to hurt us more than the lack of a G5. I wanted to do a pre/post XBench on my iBook, just for fun... It held up pretty well to the benchmark computer, except for disk performance! But I'm sure I'm the last one to realize just how severe the difference is.... :rolleyes:

 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.