India iPhone 3G prices announced - Vodafone & Airtel

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by peanut48, Aug 19, 2008.

1. peanut48 macrumors regular

VODAFONE

http://www.vodafone.in/iPhone/Pages/iPhone_details.aspx?cid=che

or

http://www.vodafone.in/iPhone/Pages/iPhone_details1.aspx#

This link was available for those who pre-registered their interest with Vodafone.

From Vodafone India Site "The iPhone 3G is available in 8GB and 16GB at Rs 31,000 and Rs 36,100 respectively. And as you have already pre-registered with us, you can get it before others do. All you need to do is drop in at a select Vodafone Store between August 14 and 19 and confirm your booking by paying Rs 10000 through cash or credit card. Don't forget to show the iPhone booking SMS, which you would have received from us, when you visit the Vodafone Store to make the deposit.

Do that, and we'll give you an appointment date and time starting August 22, when you can come and experience a full demonstration as well as collect your iPhone 3G, all ready to use with your contacts and settings, by paying the balance amount.

If you are not an existing Vodafone customer, you will need a Vodafone connection for your iPhone 3G. We recommend that when you come to confirm your booking, please do get yourself a Vodafone connection too. Remember to carry a passport sized picture, photo ID proof and address proof as these are required for activating your Vodafone SIM card."

AIRTEL

http://www.airtel.in/iphone3g/getready.html

Same Handset pricing as Vodafone.

2. peanut48 thread starter macrumors regular

3. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

Finally!! Thanks peanut48 for the info!!

Waiting for Airtel confirmation now :)

4. peanut48 thread starter macrumors regular

Yup even I'm waiting for airtel to announce their pricing....but if they are the same as Vodafone I definitely won't be buying one anytime soon :(

5. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

I think am going ahead and picking one up, anyways its time to change my HTC Touch (ELF) and was always waiting for iPhone 2 with GPS. I was bidding at 1000$ for 8GB unlocked sets from Italy on ebay (didnt win also :(), so this is within my budget (839$ for 16GB).

Prices are indeed on the higher side, but then again in India it will be positioned as a premium product and Telco's wont come up with any subsidies since contracts really dont work well here.

6. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

Airtel also has started accepting advance payment, i have confirmed with Rs 5,000 (116$). The Airtel rep who called me had informed the price would be same as vodafone India, though the Airtel shop where i made the payment didnt have an official notification today morning, and hence didnt agree to accept full payment.

Remaining amount can be paid when i goto pick up the phone, if everything goes as planned i should be getting mine tomorrow midnight :rolleyes:

All excited, have been waiting for this day since July 11th, which happens to be my Birthday also.

7. georgeoommen macrumors regular

Interesting to see that they are offering a pre-paid option as well.. Do you know if phone sold through the telco's come locked or unlocked? Wouldn't mind picking one up when i get to india in october..

Jaggunothing, can you please report back after you have picked up yours if get any info on whether they are locked or unlocked?

Thanks,

8. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

Right now no info is available, if its Network locked or min lock in period is there. In India usually lock in period model is used, where free unlocking is offered after a period of 1 year.

I will definitely update as and when i get any info on this.

9. peanut48 thread starter macrumors regular

The airtel handset is said to be locked to the airtel network however any activated airtel sim card may be used.

From http://www.airtel.in/iphone3g/getready.html

"Q: Is the Handset locked to Airtel Network?
    Phone3G from Airtel is locked to Airtel network.
    Q: Can I use another SIM of Airtel with this Handset?
    Yes you can.
    Q: Where can I buy iPhone?
    You can buy iPhone from Airtel stores. For further details click here
    Q: Is iPhone 3G from Airtel is locked with Airtel?
    Yes,iPhone 3G on Airtel is locked to Airtel and will work ONLY WITH ACTIVATED AIRTEL SIM CARD."

10. jaggunothing macrumors regular

jaggunothing

So thats confirmed! Great i have made my part payment also, keeping my fingers crossed to get the phone at midnight tomorrow. :eek:

11. peanut48 thread starter macrumors regular

Lucky you...I've decided not to pick it up...It definitely is not worth the money...I rather pay more and pick another Macbook :rolleyes:

Seriously I don't understand this pricing model and as far as I can see the iPhone sales wont be as high as expected...Given the lack of 3G in India and the bugginess of the iPhone 3G they also went ahead and locked the handsets!!

It's almost like apple and the networks have lost all their business acumen...

They definitely need to rethink their pricing strategy if they want great results else say hello to your closest gray market dealer or relative abroad! Also pray that the dev team get a breakthrough!

12. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Well.. you guys certainly seem to be taking this eerily normally! If this happened in the States... Apple'd be in serious trouble!

13. peanut48 thread starter macrumors regular

Oh well...I finally bought it...Couldn't resist any longer and made good use of my australian tax refund :)

Now I tell myself it wasn't that expensive compared to the rest of the world, I paid approx US$825 for an outright (no contract) phone however still locked to the network for a year. I'm using the same network (Airtel) for years and don't planning on switching anytime, so a year is no big deal.

I'm still using my prepaid card with my normal call rates. I use wi-fi only and don't even have the data settings on my phone (I activated at home). Airtel offers free 500Mb of data per month for 12 months, will activate that soon to use lightly where wi-fi is not available.

Overall I'm happy! :D