Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I was at the mall with my family this weekend and saw the Mac Studio in person for the first time (as well as the new MBA midnight color). The size was what I had expected, and I love all the connectivity on the chassis. One thing that stood out though was how big the indicator light on the front of the chassis was - and how different that feels from normal Apple design?

When I compared it with the Mac mini next to it, its easily 8-10x the size of the light on the mini. As I walked away, I couldn't help but try to rationalize this difference. Being that it serves no purpose other than indicating power and sleep status, I wonder why they made it so much larger than on the Mac mini? The status indicator is there because of the fact that it has no direct attached display, and there are often headless use-cases. But it just stood out to me as an odd design decision.

Owners, question - Are there 3rd party tools to adjust the indicator status (on/off/brightness)? I fully realize this is a minimal issue for the horsepower you're getting. It just seemed like an interesting consistency difference.

XavierScott

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2016
Not sure the problem here. It's a non-event for me, it's just a light and it doesn't hinder any of my productivity. Unless I'm missing something? I guess pairing the two together may look a little different but my studio is behind my workspace so I don't see something.

Last edited:
Reactions: F-Train and 3Rock

wdhpgx

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2006
Yep. Noticeably bigger than the one on my m1 mini. I was surprised by that and a little annoyed (I like smaller more subtle indicator lights).

But no, it doesn't indicate sleep status anymore (that I'm aware of); as far as I know, on both the m1 mini and mac studio, the led no longer blinks when they're in sleep mode.

Dunno the rationale. Half the design decisions Apple makes in their OS and physicals these days don't make sense to me, so I don't have any insight into their whys.

I haven't been made aware of any utilities to adjust it; I would tend to doubt any will come about.

niteflyr

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2011
Southern Cal
Owners, question - Are there 3rd party tools to adjust the indicator status (on/off/brightness)? I fully realize this is a minimal issue for the horsepower you're getting. It just seemed like an interesting consistency difference.
I found a 3rd party tool that works quite well. A small piece of duct tape dims it dramatically. I don't even notice it anymore.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
But according to Mark Gurman, that tool will be deprecated in macOS Ventura.
Nonsense - Apple would never do that after all that duct tape product placement on For All Mankind...

Anyway, at least it isn't one of those horrible dazzling blue LED power lights that casts visible shadows.

3Rock

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2021
No biggie for me. Don't know why people even comment on this.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I was at the mall with my family this weekend and saw the Mac Studio in person for the first time (as well as the new MBA midnight color). The size was what I had expected, and I love all the connectivity on the chassis. One thing that stood out though was how big the indicator light on the front of the chassis was - and how different that feels from normal Apple design?

When I compared it with the Mac mini next to it, its easily 8-10x the size of the light on the mini. As I walked away, I couldn't help but try to rationalize this difference. Being that it serves no purpose other than indicating power and sleep status, I wonder why they made it so much larger than on the Mac mini? The status indicator is there because of the fact that it has no direct attached display, and there are often headless use-cases. But it just stood out to me as an odd design decision.

That's because the Studio comes with either the Indicator-Max or Indicator-Ultra.

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
Bigger, Longer & Uncut. This is what happens when a company stops knowing what it was doing right

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Bigger, Longer & Uncut. This is what happens when a company stops knowing what it was doing right
Apple moved three frequently used things to the front instead of keeping everything on the back. Sounds like they just remembered what they know is right.

I have no problem with the light size, it looks like it has a bit softer of a glow compared to the Mini's light, but I wish it breathed while sleeping like their older computers did.

Last edited:

retlif

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2020
Is this bundled deal? Strange! Can't you just have ports on the front and the old, small and good breathing light?

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Have you considered putting small google eyes on the front and covering the light with one of them>

darinzook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 13, 2016
Charlotte, NC
No biggie for me. Don't know why people even comment on this.

I’m not making a big deal of it - just noting that this was the first I’d seen it, and thought it was a curious design decision considering that it also breaks from the consistency of the Mac mini. Certainly not something thats a buying decision.

Apple moved three frequently used things to the front instead of keeping everything on the back. Sounds like they just remembered what they know is right.

I have no problem with the light size, it looks like it has a bit softer of a glow compared to the Mini's light, but I wish it breathed while sleeping like their older computers did.
Is this bundled deal? Strange! Can't you just have ports on the front and the old, small and good breathing light?
Light size looks fine to me but it would be nice if it breathed while sleeping like older Macs did.
Love all the comments on the sleeping/breathing light. I remember my OG Bondi Blue clamshell iBook having that feature and thinking it was the coolest thing. It followed me all the way through the Macs I’d owned through the years… iBook, PowerBook G4, MacBook Pro C2D, (White) iMac C2Q, PowerMac G5. Mid 2011 iMac i5 was my first that didn’t have it. Designs come and go - but nostalgically that was one that was just a nice touch of things only Apple thought of.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.