Indicdental PB damage! Repair, buy new one, or Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by itsbetteronamac, Sep 8, 2005.

  1. itsbetteronamac macrumors regular

    Apr 27, 2003
    Hey somehow my 1.67GHz PB 15" just got a huge dent in the lower right hand corner (pushed in on the coner poped out on the sides), while in it's timbuk2 bag. I almost had a heart attack! So, now what do I do? Should I get it repaired for $350 and void my warrenty? Sell it on ebay, and buy a new one, and just take the hit? or Sell it on ebay, and hope they introduce one at Paris? If they introduce new ones at paris I would be ok with out a PB for awhile, but I can't wait any longer than that.

    So, what would you do.
  2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

    Feb 12, 2005
    maybe you should buy a laptop that is made of plas-tique? :eek:
  3. wako macrumors 65816

    Jun 6, 2005
    go look at some completed listings on ebay and see about how much you would lose. I think if you take a loss of 500 bucks its still worth it because atleast you will still have another year of warranty when you buy another one.
  4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    You can always look into replacing the bottom case yourself, usually around $230US.
  5. itsbetteronamac thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 27, 2003
    Thanks for your help... I am going to the apple store to see what they say, but I doubt that they will say anything of value. It looks like I am leaning towards takingthe hit and sell it on ebay. And then maybe waiting a week to see if a PB is announced at paris.
  6. wdlove macrumors P6


    Oct 20, 2002
    Taking you PowerBook to the Apple Store would be my recommendation. That way you will have a clearer idea of your options. If it's around $250, I would go ahead and get it fixed.
  7. itsbetteronamac thread starter macrumors regular

    Apr 27, 2003
    So I went to the Apple store, and the guy told me so much stuff. First if I was going to get it repaired by Apple they would chage me $800+! And that if I was to get my Notebook repaired by someother company it would NOT void my warrenty. Also, once I told them that it was in the bag when it happened, he said he would almost guarrenty that Timbuk2 would pay for the damages, and that if they don't... if I bring in all the letters and convo's I have with them he will help me get the money. So, I'm thinking that if Timbuk2 gives me money, I will probably just sell, and then buy a new one at paris. (if one comes out.) But, until then I am still not completely sure.

Share This Page