Indigo Clamshell purchase help

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by samus20, Oct 7, 2016.

1. samus20 macrumors newbie

Hi Guys, I don't know if I'm on the right thread, but I bought an Indigo Clamshell last week from a guy who claimed it was 466 MHZ, it was a sweet deal (45 Euros), and the computer seemed in good shape so I went for it, and then I got it and... surprise, specs are indeed 466 MHz, I checked all over to find some informations about an Indigo SE but couldn't find any, anybody has any idea of what I just bought?
    thanks IMG_4620-2.JPG IMG_4621-3.JPG

2. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

I'd say it's an SE logicboard in a non-SE Indigo case. The seller probably put the Indigo together out of spare parts, or at some point changed the logicboard out for a 466MHz SE one, perhaps that was all he had left over or was the best he could get at that point.

3. AmazingHenry macrumors 65816

AmazingHenry

Probably has been upgraded, but it's also possible that the seller modified the "About This Mac" box (yes, you can do that). Try reinstalling OS X. Be sure to do a clean install, and don't just update it.

4. Daniël Oosterhuis macrumors 6502a

Daniël Oosterhuis

Maybe, but if the seller was evil enough to do that, I'd at least expect the seller to force install Tiger and then also fake the RAM count. It's probably best to upgrade the RAM to the maximum, which is 576MB (there's 64MB built in on the logicboard, so a 512MB RAM stick would be the max), and then install Tiger to get the most out of the iBook, software wise (the older OS X releases aren't all that useful, Tiger just has a little bit more newer software support like TenFourFox).

5. bobesch macrumors 6502a

bobesch

Certainly a 466MHz board from a graphite or key-lime clamshell that had been swapped into the case of an indigo 366MHz one. Are both USB and FireWire socket on the left side originally shaped or has the case been modded?
    What about the bottom of the clamshell? Does it's color resemble the blue color of the lid or is it "graphite"? Then maybe only lid&display of a blue clamshell had been swapped to a "graphite" machine...
    Anyway, you're happy that you've got the better/faster part of that kind of a mixed version.
    A kind of "Blue Mauritius" amongst the clamshells.
    The price of 45EUR is superb and I'd max out the RAM with a 512MB brick and add an mSATA with at least two partitions for Tiger and native MacOS9.
    Have fun!