Individual Photo Icon Replacement Help...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by 150hp, Apr 15, 2007.

1. 150hp macrumors regular

Hello, All-

OK, I just migrated to a C2D iMac from my G3 iMac. I am looking for a photo editor program that will replace each image's icon with a tiny preview like Photoshop 3 did on my G3. I would open up each picture, manipulate it & then when I saved it, the generic JPEG icon would be replaced with a preview of the actual image file.

Now that I cannot use my ancient Photoshop on the C2D, I have started to look at free photo editor's. I currently have iPhoto, Seashore, & Gimpshop installed. I have toyed with an image in each & no luck with the icon change. I know iPhoto makes up a gallery in the library view which is great but I don't want to always open iPhoto to see the pics. I want to go right to the folder they are in & see each image.

& since I just purchased the iMac, I do not have the cash for Photoshop CS3 so that choice is ruled out.

Thanks for the help!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Do you have Show Icon Preview selected in the View Options of the folder you're looking at with your pictures in it? Press COMMAND-J to get the View Options pane up. :)

3. 150hp thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Mad Jew. That was so what I needed. This community brings a smile to my face.

4. Spectrum macrumors 6502a

Spectrum

Hello 150hp,

It may not bug you (or you may not have the problem) but ever since MacOS 10.4.4 the Preview JPEG icons I get are rather crude and ugly (no antialiasing, and with wide black borders).

To correct this I use: CocoThumbX.

You simply drag an image or folder of images in and it creates a very nicely rendered icon for you - importantly without changing ANY of the metadata (date/time created etc.). To see the new thumbnail, you must now NOT have "show icon preview" checked, thus bypassing the Finder's crude icon creator.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

No worries 150hp. Nice tip Spectrum. I don't even use the thumbnails, so I never noticed the difference.