Individual Power Supply Switches

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by choreo, May 17, 2012.

1. choreo macrumors regular

choreo

I have about 25 External Firewire Hard Drives.

I usually keep them powered down (since most of them are for back ups). I only turn them on when I need to access a drive, then unmount them and turn them off when done backing up... so most of my drives do not have a lot of run-time on them.

My problem is that I keep my individual hard drive power supplies plugged in to various surge protected strips (that power lots of things). In particular I have 6 G-Tech Drives and I noticed today that (4) of the (6) Power Supplies were "dead" (no green lights). Apparently they crapped out over the past few months and I did not notice. I called G-Tech and they just said that they died over time because i kept them plugged in (even with the drives not turned on).

So my question is... "Do you know of anyone who sells some type of individual shut-off switch that I could plug in between my power strips and each one of these power supplies no that I could manually switch them off when not needed. Otherwise, I have to plug and unplug all these power supplies in constantly into the power strips - major pain!

Thanks for any ideas!

2. choreo thread starter macrumors regular

choreo

3. skorpien macrumors 68020

I think I like the look of your find better. The remote function of the ones I linked really isn't necessary in your situation, and you'll still need to use them with a power bar, so your solution's much better IMO. Thanks for bringing that power strip to my attention!

Edit: Just noticed there's an "always on" outlet, so you can effectively daisy chain a whole bunch of them :)