Indoor Cycle Activity Worked This Time!!!

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by swandy, May 9, 2015.

1. swandy macrumors regular

The first time that I went to our gym I did 20 minutes on an indoor stationary bike and 20 minutes on a treadmill. And like a lot of others, I saw virtually no movement in the lovely green Exercise ring. I selected Indoor Cycle for the bike and Indoor Run for the treadmill.
    Today, I did 45 minutes on the on just the Indoor Cycle and low and behold I was credited with 45 minutes of "exercise". The only difference this time is that my iPhone was not nearby - I left it in the locker room. (Though I never saw the red "I can't find your iPhone" indicator on the Watch.)
    What I did notice is that when I swiped through the various screens of the Activity app, there was ones for Time, Calories and Heart Rate - not for distance (duh, was not moving anyway). The first time that I did the stationary bike, I had the iPhone in my pocket and the distance screen was there. So perhaps the issue with at least stationary bikes is if the iPhone is nearby, the Watch is trying to use the GPS on the phone - like you were riding a real bike on an indoor track - and since it sensed no actual movement, it did not credit it as "exercise" even though my Heart Rate was up. (And no, I was not swinging my left arm to simulate movement.)

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The first time did you accidentally select Outdoor Cycle? I have done several stationary bike rides using Indoor with my iPhone in pocket and it has never listed a Distance reading.

3. TenTwelve macrumors newbie

My indoor cycle readings have been on par with all the other methods I've used for tracking in the past. I'm pleased with this function.

4. swandy thread starter macrumors regular

Nope, 99% sure I picked Indoor Cycle.

5. conifer macrumors member

Weird, I did a few indoor cycles today, heart rate was up but no exercise tracking. I was using 1.0 for watch.

yesterday using 1.01 on a different watch, I did get credited.

edit: I have not calibrated either watch. I could try calibrating this one and see if it changes things.

6. Heavenkiss macrumors member

What about your 'steps' due to having phone in pocket when indoor cycling? Surely your phone monitored your steps when cycling therefore 'predicted distance' and presumed you had 'ran' in the health app?

If you dont keep your phone in your pocket when indoor cycling you loose those steps however due to wrist being stationary for watch. Technically you should still get them.

Finding it hard to figure out wether to keep phone in pocket or not when doing indoor activities - especially cyclig where wrist is stationary.