Indoor running/walking not counted as exercise?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TouchMint.com, Jun 23, 2015.

1. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

For the past 2-3 weeks or however long I have had my watch ive been running or walking indoor on the treadmill and using the green apple exercise app. The problem is I will do this for anywhere from 40-70 minutes (and it shows when using the app) but when I look at my move goals its only showing up for only about 10-15mins. The calories seem to carry over but thats it. Am I doing something wrong here? And yes I have been outside with it and my phone for 20mins.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The exercise activity only goes up if you're moving faster than a "brisk walk" (They don't say what that means), so maybe you're not moving fast enough (or not moving your arms enough)?

Details here: http://www.apple.com/uk/watch/health-and-fitness/

3. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If I do a 30 minute brisk walk my AW seems to not count it until my HR get elevated past a certain point. It will register about 26 or 27 minutes out of the 30 as exercise.

4. TouchMint.com thread starter macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

Ok that makes a little more sense then thanks for the heads up!

5. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Try the same workout using another setting for workout tupe on the Watch. I've played hockey a few times using "other" and had results in line with what I expected. This week I tried "indoor run" to see how it compared. There was a message about "having your iPhone with you can increase accuracy." The calorie result was very low.

I think "indoor run" expects an indoor running track and needs the GPS data from the phone to record the workout properly for HR and motion.

6. fischersd macrumors 68040

fischersd

Umm. "indoor run" wouldn't usually benefit from GPS (no line of site to the satellites) :) If anything, all you can get is aGPS from your cell phone or wifi - and that, again, can be severely hampered by the signal strength and availability for the structure that you're in.