inductive charging compatibility with a metal mount on the back

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eye.surgeon, Sep 12, 2017.

1. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Many of us use magnetic car mounts where a round metal sticker is applied to the back of the phone. Will this be compatible with inductive charging? I'm thinking it will either block or greatly reduce charging, given they had to make the back of the 8 and X glass instead of metal, or the inductive charging might cause the metal to heat up dramatically.

Anyone know?

2. eye.surgeon thread starter macrumors 6502

surely I'm not the only one with this question?

3. jkozlow3 macrumors 6502a

Read the reviews of the various magnetic mounts sold on Amazon (i.e. Wizgear and others). Search those reviews for "wireless" and you'll see that many people have had issues with their phones and wireless charging.

At a minimum, people mentioned that they had to use the smaller metal plate (usually these types of mounts come with 2 sizes of metal plates that attach to your phone) and/or relocate the metal plate (usually higher up on the body of the phone I believe).

So yes, it will be a problem. My wife and I use these types of mounts ourselves in each of our cars. I'm not sure that a suitable replacement for magnetic mounts really exists. I was actually looking for some this week and didn't see ANYTHING I liked nearly as much as our magnetic mounts.

4. OriginalAppleGuy macrumors 6502a

OriginalAppleGuy

I've got the same problem. Put the magnet(s) between the case and phone. Not sure how sold I am on the whole wireless charging deal. Seems to work fine on my watch. But it's really not a big deal for me to plug it in. I really like the challenge of plugging in my phone to the top of my alarm clock.