Industrial Cleaning

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by afawcett, Feb 14, 2012.

1. afawcett macrumors regular

I ran a few searches on both the forums and Google, and wasn't able to find what I was looking for.

Basically, when electronics go through refurbishing the are also industrially cleaned. For example, my Xbox 360 got the RRoD. I sent it in, and it came back (same serial number) to me clean and new looking.

I own an iPhone 4, and my home button stopped working. The phone is no longer in warranty, but I took it into the Apple Store to see if they could help. The technician told me her button had stopped working because dirt (oils and such) gets into the phone while pressing the home button. She cleaned my phone by using a 99.9% alcohol wipe to work out grime while pushing the home button. And it worked.

It may be good enough, but it seems like a remarkably ineffective way of cleaning an iPhone. I would like to send my phone through an industrial cleaning process, similar to what they do while refurbishing electronics. I believe they can get a lot more dirt that an alcohol wipe (which still sounds better than the WD-40 solution thats going around the internet).

Thank you

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

That's awesome dude, but do you even have a question to ask here? Are you looking for a place to send your iPhone for this so-called industrial cleaning?

In any case, I believe a simple Google and/or Forum search would point you in the right direction.

3. afawcett thread starter macrumors regular

Correct, I am looking for a place that will professionally/ industrially clean my iPhone (inside and out).

I said I already ran a searches and I wasn't able to find anything... Maybe my keywords were off but that's why I came here for advice.

4. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Which was it? Either it worked or it was ineffective. It can't be both.

5. afawcett thread starter macrumors regular

It can easily be both. Just because it works doesn't mean that it got all the dirt out. I am simply looking for a cleaning service for my iPhone. I accept that you accept low quality and incomplete solutions, but I do not. Please do not post in this thread if you are not here to contribute.

6. mstrze macrumors 68000

But if the cleaning worked, then it is not ineffectual.:confused: Am I missing something?

It sounds like you want to pay someone $100 or more to industrially clean you iPhone for no real reason? Are you still having home button issues?

EDIT: You can always order the necessary tools to remove your iPhone back and screen and follow the teardown procedures on iFixit and clean it yourself with some commercially available fluids or simple rubbing alcohol. Having someone do this for you will cost a pretty penny.

7. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I'm actually an "industrial electronic hardware" certified cleaner. I can industrially clean your iPhone for $99.99. You pay to ship it to me + $99.99 I will clean it (industrial clean) and ship back free of charge. I just got a new industrial-grade industrial cleaning machine and cleaned my old iPhone 4 and my friends old (deactivated 3gs) and they're like brand new.

8. afawcett thread starter macrumors regular

Correct, my phone has re-developed home button issues.

You can work some grime out of the phone, but most of if gets pushed down (not out) in this procedure. The alcohol seeps into the phone, moves some dirt around, but little is actually removed (it's like running soapy water over dirty dishes without scrubbing). Enough dirt gets moved off the contact, but it shifts over time and can block the home button contact again.

Thank you mstrze and Leonard1818 for the estimates. The technician that was helping me told me that I could get a refurbished iIphone for $149 (which scratch free, comes with a 90 day warranty, etc), and I was hoping the cleaning process would be less expensive. Leonard1818, do you have a website so I can view your services and reviews?