Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagine123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Hi all,

Is there a way to disable inertial scrolling in Lion? I am running GM on a mid-2009 MBP and I used to be able to disable it in snow lion, but now they seem to have removed this setting from the control panel...

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Edit: Found the option! It is under Universal Access now!

palyons

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2010
If you mean the reverse scrolling. It's enabled from two places:
1) Trackpad: Scroll & Zoom > Scroll Direction: natural <-- Uncheck this and it will function how you're used to in Snow Leopard.
2) Mouse: [Only seen if you have a mouse plugged in] Move content in the direction of finger movement when scrolling or navigating.

If either of the two above options is disabled, then the other one will be as well.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Not that I'm aware of. Maybe it's somewhere in System Preferences, maybe it's not. Still trying to find all the options since they added/taken out/moved options around. But it doesn't look like you can...

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Inertial scrolling is when the scroll acts like it has inertia, it continues to scroll for a bit after you let go. What you described is inverted scrolling.

I don't know how to disable it, just wanted to clear up the phraseology.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
It's under Universal Settings - Trackpad options I believe.

But for me, once I disable inertia it comes back after I reboot. The setting doesn't "stick".

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Why would you (or Apple for that matter) think certain settings inside of System Preferences would be temporary?

It's not specific to System Preferences. Although most of them are in there. For example, when you shut down or log out, the option to resume all windows. It's probably there by default but I would like the option if I uncheck it the first time, it should remain unchecked until I choose to resume. Stuff like that.

ASATD

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2011
It's under Universal Settings - Trackpad options I believe.

But for me, once I disable inertia it comes back after I reboot. The setting doesn't "stick".

Seems to be the opposite for me; inertial scrolling disables itself after reboot (even though the setting says it's on). I have to toggle it off, then on again for it to work.

Steve's Barber

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2011
Seems to be the opposite for me; inertial scrolling disables itself after reboot (even though the setting says it's on). I have to toggle it off, then on again for it to work.
This anomaly depends on whether you upgraded Lion on top of SL or simply did a clean install of Lion.

Either way your changes won't stick between reboots.

Marcus263

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
Is there a way to fix it? I enable inertia scrolling but it randomly turns off. It's incredibly annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.