Inertial Scrolling on 2006 MacBook in Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by cinca, Jul 20, 2011.

1. cinca, Jul 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011

cinca macrumors regular

While I know that in previous versions of OS X inertial scrolling wasn't supported on my getting-long-in-the-tooth late 2006 Black Macbook Pro, I was using the third party app Smart Scroll to give my machine the inertial scrolling feature (i.e. swipe down the page and scrolling 'slides' the content frame similar to the feel of scrolling/sliding down on an iphone or ipad.)

Unfortunately the developers of Smart Scroll haven't updated it to work under Lion yet.

However, I notice that tucked away in very preference panels there is both the option to 'reverse scroll' (which I like and have gotten used to) as well as 'inertial scrolling' located (somewhat strangely) in the trackpad settings of the Universal Access control panel. The reverse scroll works fine (and has since 10.6) but checking the 'inertial scrolling' feature doesn't seem to do anything.

Can anyone confirm that in Lion inertial scrolling SHOULD work on my late 2006 Macbook? I do wonder if it isn't officially supported by Apple on my older trackpad (two finger scrolling works but other than that no multi-touch gestures) and the 'inertia scrolling' checkbox doesn't do anything? Any ideas?

Am I going to have to wait for a third party to provide me with the option..?

Thanks in advance for thought and answers.

2. pruppert macrumors 6502

pruppert

Also a late 2006 Macbook here. It appears we're out of luck, at least in terms of support from Apple.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht4254

I hadn't heard of Smart Scroll before. Hopefully, they get it updated soon.

3. cinca thread starter macrumors regular

Ah.. Good work. I just read that support doc and recognized the name of the driver update it was referencing -- it was one of the two things that were put in the 'unsupported' applications when I upgraded to Lion. So I guess that kinda makes it official.

The good news is that it appears the Smart Scroll third party extension is on track to to update to support Lion in the next few days.

Your milage may very but I was quite happy with the 'pseudo inertia' scrolling it provided.. I think it's called 'smooth scroll' or something like that on this product page:

http://www.marcmoini.com/sx_en.html

While it may not be the official Apple sanctioned interia scrolling I was very happy with it's performance on my machine -- although I am (sadly) noticing Lion to be a tiny bit sluggish every once in a while.

I would definitely recommend giving Smart Scroll a shot when the Lion update rolls out. There is a free 'nag-ware' version that gives you a pop-up every week or so that I lived with for the past month or two while I waited to see what the situation would be with official support for inertial scrolling in Lion.

Now that it's pretty clear it's not happening for my machine I will definitely be making the purchase and supporting the developer.

4. atx_knepp macrumors member

I have had inertia scrolling on my 2006 MacBook Pro but I cannot remember installing a third party software, but I noticed that it no longer works Lion. I also am not getting the computer to tell me when words are misspelled in many places, appears to only work on dedicated text input boxes like this, but not in say like spotlight. The ambient light sensor appears to no longer be working either for the keyboard backlight. Also, Apple still has not figured out how to have multiple accounts without duplicating the entire hard drive for each user ugh.

5. deejayscream macrumors newbie

I've got a question as well according to inertial scrolling on my late 2007 macbook pro.As we know,our hardware(touchpad) doesn't support inertial scroll.But upper model (mid 2008 macbook pro) does.So the question is,would it work if I replaced a top case along with a touchpad for that from a newer model?? I mean,macbook pro late 2007 with a top case from macbook pro mid 2008?

6. gumblecosby macrumors 6502

7. deejayscream macrumors newbie

I've tried it.It's still a beta version.Works quite nice,but this is NOT IT :) Looking for some possible hardware replacement:)