Inertial Scrolling

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ronnoco, May 27, 2010.

1. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Anyone else now completely spoiled by this new feature? :D

I just love it...makes it SO easy to get to the top and bottom of webpages and documents...
    I couldn't live without it now...:cool:

2. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

I find it a nice feature to have, but nothing earth shattering.

I still prefer the super accurate and ergonomically perfect TrackPoint that is located in the middle of the keyboard on my various ThinkPads.

It's very fast, and does not require you to remove your hands from the keys to use it. At the end of the day, any computer professional will tell you that keyboard shortcuts rule. They are fast, accurate and very efficient.

Cheers...:)

3. vant macrumors 65816

To be honest, when I first played with it in the store I was like 'meh'. But now that I have it I find myself using it on very long pages (THREADS!!!). It's quite useful.

4. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

I don't think it is earth shattering either, but sometimes just the simplest things can make a big difference...:)

5. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

One of my faves is using the three fingers vertically to immediately go to the top or the bottom of a *long* web page. I can't stand using my PC netbook trackpad since being spoiled by the MBP one. :)

6. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

The 4 finger up-swipe is great as well to clear the desktop in one quick move...:D

7. danistyping macrumors regular

Does anyone know whether inertial scrolling is software only or was there a hardware change too?

I feel like owners of older macbooks are getting screwed here if it's just software. They could easily enable this for everyone.

8. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

yeah the intertial scrolling just adds the icing to the already amazing cake (trackpad). feels good to flick through the long threads ;) feels PRO.

9. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

Yeah, we're getting screwed. They could have most likely very easily make this available as part of a s/w update. But that's SJ marketing to you.

10. Ronnoco thread starter macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

If it is simply a software issue, I think they will make it available to earlier units that have the enlarged trackpad...perhaps in the next update (10.6.4)...

11. Lesoldiare macrumors member

<sarcasm> It will never make its way into the older units. Simply put, those older units, while they seem nearly identical and quite capable, would not in fact provide the optimum user experience for inertial scrolling and thus said feature will never be released for any of the older units. </sarcasm>

12. lordofuo macrumors regular