Inexpensive Evernote alternative for iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by macbook123, Apr 14, 2012.

1. macbook123 macrumors 68000

I like Evernote but it is outrageously overpriced at $50/year. What alternatives can people recommend that allow me to edit and sync notes between my Mac and iPad?

2. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

There's a free version. Is that not sufficient for you?

3. macbook123 thread starter macrumors 68000

I can't imagine the free version being sufficient for anyone, as it only works while connected to a data network. If you're not connected, you can't even read your own notes! They lock them in on the server!

4. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Click the star in the upper left of each note. It favorites that note and enables it for offline access. Dropbox does this too.

I actually know a lot of people who use the free version only. Although, IMHO, $50 isn't so bad for a VERY useful application. That's like one less latte a month.

5. palpatine macrumors 68040

45 a year for 1gb per month of uploads (10 more than dropbox and storage is yours forever, even if you go back to free), offline notes, regular updates to the software, etc. that is a coffee a month for one of the best applications available -- it's made the ipad into a productivity machine for me. seems like a good deal, and we have to pay something to support it -- the staff doesn't work for free and the servers don't power themselves off of humans enslaved in a matrix (maybe they do, but i didn't take the right pill, so i'll never know).

voodoopad is not free, but it is a fabulous personal wiki. simplenote and plaintext are old standards that are solid, trustworthy, and free. onenote is also not free (for regular users) but it is an option. good luck!

6. b.c. macrumors 6502

Not true

You can favorite notes and access offline and only sync between devices when you have network access. You can also have some notes that are local to a device and never synced. I use the free version of Evernote in this way.

7. thetruth1985 macrumors 6502

There is a way to get evernote premium for free but I'm sure I will get banned if I told you how. (hint, it doesn't involve jailbreaking)

8. Eheh macrumors newbie

Since one month, I use notebooks (http://www.notebooksapp.com/) ; previously I used evernote and awesomenote. The specific feature are very usefull (formatted document, wysiwyg, markdown, sync with dropbox, read a lot of format and export or import folder and subfolder, export pdf...).

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I don't think there is a note app that I would recommend over Evernote
    It is one of my true go-to apps, and I don't mind paying for the service

10. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

11. AceCoolie macrumors regular

I switched to SimpleNote. It's free and notes are available offline.

12. AlexandriaS macrumors newbie

You CANNOT favorite on Evernote on iPad!

Evernote allows free users on EVERY OTHER device to access their notes offline by marking them "favorite". This is NOT option oniPad. I did not realize this until after I purchased. Very irritating...kind of like people who criticize others, claim to know more than every one else, and are wrong!#

13. Medic311 macrumors 68000

Medic311

i switched to Notability, got it on promo sale for $0.99. syncs with drop box and thus with my computer