Inexpensive iPhone Earbuds?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by SR Steve, Jan 1, 2011.

1. SR Steve macrumors member

What would you recommend for my iphone4 with inline mic & volume controls for under $40? I'll be using it primarily for gym workouts listening to rock, pop & jazz.

TIA... :apple:

2. SR Steve thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I like the MEE products but they lack a volume control.

3. SR Steve thread starter macrumors member

4. SR Steve thread starter macrumors member

After some research I decided to spend a bit more and ordered the Klipsch Image S4i Premium Noise-Isolating Headset with 3-Button Apple Control.

5. TheBigKing macrumors 65816

TheBigKing

6. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

Can you let me know how these work out for you in the gym? I just pulled the trigger for the S4 without controls, primarily for gym use, because the controls would be in my shirt and wouldn't be worth the extra $$ for me.

However, if you find the remote location isn't in a poor spot, I'll keep my box unopened when it arrives :rolleyes:

7. iamartimus macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I like the Zagg, but they cost $50. If you check, occasionally you can get them for 25-50% off. I got mine for $25 plus shipping. They are light, fit well in the ears. Have the Zagg coating on the wire, making them more durable, have in-line controls, and have a very cool securing system. Very comfortable.

8. bwhitta macrumors regular

I've bought multiple sets of these: eBay

Extremely cheap, but they hold up pretty well. I use them when I hit golf balls or work in the yard. Perfect for getting sweaty and dirty. A few of them have even ended up going through the washer and dryer and still work. The sound quality isn't that great, but they're under $2.

EDIT: Scratch that, the description says that they are NOT compatible with the iPhone 4.

9. johnnylion macrumors newbie

Any word on whether the cord on the Zaggs makes those annoying bumping/thumping/rustling noises when it rubs against things? This is my #1 gripe with most earbuds I've tried...

10. PopCulture macrumors member

Yeah, ebay is the way to go. You can even get the original headphones there for a lot cheaper.

11. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

12. oakie macrumors 6502

oakie

most canalbuds are going to do that, unfortunately, purely by design. cloth covered wires seem to reduce it a bit compared to rubberized wires. griffin technology has a set with inline ipod controls and cloth covered wires that didnt make as much noise as my hf3's.

13. ImStrapped macrumors member

I would recommend Skull Candy's, they range from 15-150 dollars depending on how good you want them.
    Their in ear head phones are great and I use them at the gym all the time.

14. Giancarlog25 macrumors newbie

I KNOW you said under 40$ But the Astro A-star in ear headphones are AMAZING. With the mic. You cant go wrong. :)

15. bcp23 macrumors member

I use the Zaggs primarily for the gym. The cord doesn't cause noise when it bumps and rubs against things. I think it is because of the way Zagg designed them to be worn.

They market their "hanging tight" design where the cord goes behind your neck which eliminates noise. Also the cord is coated in invisible shield making it pretty durable.

16. shakeman0 macrumors 6502a

shakeman0

I picked up a pair of Sony earbuds with a mic built in for $40 and they have been great for everything I need.

17. SR Steve thread starter macrumors member

The controls work as designed and the central placement at the "Y" makes for easy access.

Extremely comfortable and very good sound quality for the money... I've used these at the gym, swimming pool, and on a 12- hour airplane flight with no problems. Highly recommended!