Inexpensive Laptop Stand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hacks, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Hacks macrumors member

I'm looking for a laptop stand for my Macbook. Something like the Twelve South BookArc would be fine, but I can't bring myself to spend $50+ on it.

I'm not saying that $50 is a huge amount of money, but it just seems like a lot for a glorified napkin holder. And all the other brands that I have seen have followed suit.

So what I am wondering is if there is an inexpensive stand out there? It doesn't need to be fancy nor match the Macbook, just something to hold it while not scratching it.

2. Raunien macrumors 6502

3. Hacks thread starter macrumors member

I'm looking for the kind that holds the laptop vertically.

The link that you posted shows something that seems like it's worth $30+. It's the little tiny vertical holders that go for $50-70 that I shake my head at :D

4. diggy33 macrumors 6502

diggy33

5. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

I use a laptop stand that has cooling fans, but that was for my old mac book, but i use it with my retina

6. Hacks thread starter macrumors member

7. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

I made one out of some scrap pieces of teak I had. Holds it vertical behind my monitor. I think the teak looks nice with the brushed aluminum. Total cost was a little of my time as I had all the materials already. I would post a pix but I'm traveling right now.

8. Hacks thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about taking 0.25" thick x 3" wide x 12" long piece of steel, heating it and bending it over the side of a barrel to give it an arc shape. Then cutting a notch in it so it looks similar to the BookArc. If I wanted to go all out I could have it chromed. If not, then I could just paint it. Then all I would need is some felt or rubber inside of the notch to protect the laptop.

But I would rather just buy something cheap :D:p

9. SkimMilk168 macrumors regular