Inexpensive option for 2 external monitors?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rockinrocker, Feb 28, 2014.

1. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

I'm switching my studio computer from my MacPro to my MBP (non-retina) and looking for options to connect my second external monitor.

I can't use the built in one because the fans spin up occasionally so the macbook has to be in a cabinet.

Is there a way to do this without spending an arm and a leg?
    I'm not gaming or anything, so it doesn't need to be particularly high performance.

I seem to remember seeing some sort of USB option at some point, but can't remember what it was called.

Thanks

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

3. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Ah yes, that's it.

Hmm… Amazon reviews don't look so hot for it…

Anybody on here actually used one of those units?

4. SBA macrumors member

I used a Matrox DualHead2Go DP (Displayport) Edition with a 2012 Macbook Air. It was a decent solution for adding 2 external monitors to a laptop with only one Thunderbolt/Mini-DP port.

My only problem with it is that it stretches your content across the 2 displays, rather than give you 2 independent displays. In other words, if you want to full-screen a youtube video, or you open an image from Tweetbot, it centers that content in the middle of the 2 displays (the image ends up centered right under the bezels).

5. rockinrocker thread starter macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

Ah. Yeah, that would be annoying.

Ideally there'd be a solution that would function just like two monitors usually would.