iPad Inexperienced iPad-der. iPad 4 vs. iPad Air - Need help choosing

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Koofa, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Koofa, Jan 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2014

Koofa macrumors newbie

Ok, so I have a set budget. I was going to get the 64GB iPad 4 w/ Verizon, but I can't help but feel like it's just not going to be as good as the iPad Air. Is the iPad Air really that much faster than the iPad 4? Is the speed that much different? That's my main concern - speed. I don't want lagging or freezing or anything like that and I just want to know are they really THAT much different when it comes to it?

My 2nd concern is that if I do get the iPad Air, I can only afford the 32GB w/ cellular. I'm not quite sure if that's enough space either. I don't have many songs to put on there. My iPhone is a 16GB but it's completely full. I can't ever download anything else, even when I delete an app or 2 - it's not enough space for new things. I have 6 songs, about 1,000 pictures (the pictures alone take up 3.7GB) and about 88 apps including the ones that come pre-loaded (App Store, Camera, etc.). I'll want to put MOST but not all of those apps on my iPad - I don't really need a lot of music, I have Pandora & Spotify, and I want to watch TV but not download movies/shows, just use apps like HBO Go and Hulu to stream. I like to take pictures, but not sure I'll be using it as much as my iPhone for that.

Can someone help me decide? Is the iPad Air worth getting or should I stick to the last model with more space?

Also, when getting a cellular model, do I have the option of never activating it unless I need to? I read Verizon has daily plans - how do those work exactly? If I went somewhere that didn't have wifi could I just pay for a daily plan and use it for that day/until the MB were used up? Or do I have to have an actual cell plan/contract with them to use the cellular network period?

Thank you for your help!

2. Truefan31 macrumors 68040

Truefan31

I would get the 32 gb air. Use Dropbox for pics and other files to save space

3. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

I agree with the above poster. I'd go with the iPad air over the iPad 4. More future proof as well.

4. kristalsoldier macrumors regular

kristalsoldier

While I am in the same dilemma - iPad 4 (which I have) or an iPad Air - I would almost always opt for a smaller onboard storage. But then again, I have two advantages - (1) I got 200GB of space on SkyDrive (when I bought the Surface 2) and (2) usually I am almost always within some WiFi network and in the off chance that I am not, my mobile phone carrier gives me unlimited data connection with free tethering on multiple devices. So, connectivity is not a problem (well, it can be, where coverage areas are poor).

5. Koofa thread starter macrumors newbie

The Air is what I'm thinking.. honestly I don't think I want to upgrade any further after I get this one - the fingerprint thing turns me off completely. Not into all of that. Call me dumb, but I don't really know how tethering works.. and if I get it free or not. I looked into it a long time ago when I bought another tablet but never fully understood the concept (or maybe I just didn't care enough) and forgot about it.

6. JeffMorse macrumors regular

7. Jasonkrick macrumors member

If one has a great data plan with their cell phone carrier, tethering, for me anyway, is the way to go.

It is very easy to tether. On the iPhone, it is in settings and look for the personal hot spot icon and just turn her on.

My carrier charges me $30 a month for this but if I got LTE for an iPad, it would be $30 for 2 gig. And I always use 10 gig a month with just tethering.

8. Koofa thread starter macrumors newbie

Not sure what carrier you have, but I have AT&T. So your carrier charges you $30 flat per month for tethering no matter how much data you use while doing it?

9. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I was in the same boat a few months ago. I was mostly sold on the 4th gen iPad to save money but I played with the Air at best buy for a few minutes and walked out with one. It really is a fine device and the speed and overall improvements are noticeable!

My other dilemma was whether to get 64GB of storage and just wifi or 32GB of storage and cell support. I ended up going with the 32/ cell combo and am very happy with my choice. You will have to manage files a little more if you have a ton of pics and stuff but it's not hard to do. You'll appreciate the cell support, trust me!

So, get yourself a 32GB Air with cell and don't look back! ;)

10. osofast240sx macrumors 68030

osofast240sx

64g wifi air

11. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I gave my old ipad to my kids. That thing feels like a brick compared to the air. Apples and oranges. Mine was a ipad 2. The speed comparison of that to the air is also night and day. Im sure 4 is faster but Im also sure ipad air is even faster. While the newer ios's work with the older machines they also make them run much slower. In my experience.

12. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

buy the air without any regret... the feeling of the ipad in your hands is fantastic....coming back from a trip and trying my mom's ipad 3 it seemed an old piece of junk! Too heavy and big.....

13. bevsb2 macrumors 65816

I upgraded from an iPad 4 to an Air and I prefer the Air mainly because of the smaller size and weight. In defense of the iPad 4, mine has the best screen of any device I have ever had. I found no appreciable difference in speed between the two devices but I just use mine for e-mail, web surfing and occasional reading. I'm not a gamer and that is probably where the speed difference is noticeable. I think if you are getting a new device it makes sense to get the newest technology and the most GB you can afford. LTE is also very nice to have. I have Verizon and I started with 2GB but will probably reduce that to 1GB for $20/mo since I'm not using it that much. I have WiFi at home and at work and almost everywhere else I would use it when out. I haven't been able to give up the iPad 4 yet because when I look at that perfect screen I just can't let it go.

14. Koofa thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, there's certainly an overwhelming response. Thank you all for your input & advice! Yes, I think I'll definitely have to go with the Air. Although I hate not being able to afford the 64GB Verizon, I'm sure I'll make the 32 work somehow. I feel like I'm gypping myself, but I just don't have the funds to do so. Now, to find a reputable Amazon seller :/ (I have too much credit on there to pass up). I just wish the prices weren't so dang high on there.