Infamous MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857D and terminal help!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ipoppy, Nov 28, 2009.

1. ipoppy macrumors 6502

Hi,
    On my MBP I got optical drive MATSHITADVD-R UJ-857D with revision KCVB and I cant burn DVD’s on it. Can play all sort of media but can’t burn. I know it’s a wide spread problem with that drive and I have tried almost all tricks with no luck. However I have come across this article here

http://www.richardmondello.com/2007/12/27/macbook-pro-superdrive-21-fix/

, which involving using terminal. I wonder if someone could put that article in more simple way so I could understand. I don’t know much about terminal commands and the way it should be done. I have downloaded Simpleflash already and I got that in folder on my desktop but I don’t know what to do next.
    I will be appreciated if someone could guide me through that process in more simple way.

Thanks in advance

2. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

Have you purchased and used a simple cleaning disc? That does the trick for more than 90% of the time. Slot in drives are dust busters and the lens and the mechanism will get dirty.

3. ipoppy thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I did that but cleaning disc wasn't able to even spin for some reason and ejected after several seconds.I guess quality of product. I blow some air too through insert gap or change language settings etc. No luck. My last two options are to run that script or open MBP and get to optical drive that way. I should get Applecare.